The saga continues...

So.  People say to me all the time.  You're lucky, you can wear anything.  (to pre-warn you - this is dress related.  Save yourself now if you're not in the dress market, would be my advice.  Having said that, there are some "interesting" pics).

Anyway... In. My. Dreams, can I wear anything.  I genuinely genuinely can't.  It may look as if I can but that's because I've been studying shapes and fashion for so long now that I don't generally wear anything that I don't feel is flattering. 

But that's not to say that everything works on me and that I still don't try on some humdingers.  Being tall can be as difficult to dress as it can for those who are petite.

Let's start with the truly terrible.  (to be honest, it starts off as merely bad.  Truly terrible is to come...)

I think I can confidently say that a trip or 3456 trips to the gym may be needed before I venture out in a knitted dress.  Can I apologise now if anyone is eating... 

Bow Knitted Dress £39.99 from Mango 




Please can I also apologise to Mango for ruining one of their dresses. (I'm breathing in here as well..)


Untitled


However this pales into insignificance next to the beauty I purchased from Rachel Comey at Matches. 

So this is how I had hoped to look (with different shoes can I please point out).

Rachel Comey Collage Silk Chiffon Dress was £705 now £423 (I did get an extra 20% off. To be fair, it would have had to have been free...)






Alas - it wasn't to be.....And even if it had been free, there is absolutely no way I could or would have left the house in this.  The 9yr old came out of his room as I was taking the pic.  The look of horror on his face, "MUMMY, are you pregnant?".  


Untitled

So a hunting we need to go.  All rather timely when I got an email with 30% off Sales Prices at Farfetch (use the code x30feb).  It so happens that all I came across was black.  You can never have too many black dresses.

Theory Kadrayel Dress at FarFetch was £315 now £157.50  This is a much much heavier fabric than the (much cheaper) Mango dress.  Although to be honest, with the extra 30% it makes it a really good deal compared to the £40 ribbed condom.  Ok so now I'm being mean and taking my lack of taughtness/laziness i on a dress.  It's not your fault lovely, just not on me, Mango dress....



Again - super sucky in fabric.  These are just so incredibly versatile.

Sportmax Susa Dress was £395 now £276.50






Oh the irony.  The original silk version that clearly the Mango one was inspired by.  Much more flattering for the majority of us than the clinging knit.

Joseph Belted V-neck Dress was £465 now £186



We're back to ribbed.. again, I can't imagine this would be anywhere near as unforgiving as the Mango one (she says optimistically but honestly, not being quite convinced...)

Vivienne Westwood Anglomania Asymmetric hem ribbed dress was £494.10 now £197.64



But personally - if I could guarantee that the proportions would be right, I would get this.  I LOVE it.  It's so stunningly classic - a Dior tribute, would look amazing with court shoes - yes, even a classic court shoe, or a strappy glad style heel.  Amazing reduction when you include the 30% off.  (obviously I'm ridiculously tempted..) 

Preen By Thornton Bregazzi Everley Dress was £910 now £546





And now onto some more reasonable versions.  I'll be honest.  I have trawled the high street and there is nothing new.  In a couple of weeks, I'm sure we'll be inundated (with what styles, to be honest, I'm not sure).

ASOS Premium Occasion Lace Midi Dress £85  Firstly my reservations.  This is apparently lilac.  So I've looked at this on three different computers and it still looks.. green?  Ok, I could maybe go a grey.. but I'm really really struggling to get to lilac.  But assuming that the colour works and it's long enough for you, this is a great Self Portrait tribute for a fraction of the cost.  And yes, it goes in the machine. 



Up close the quality looks very impressive.





Sienna Lace Dress in navy from Monsoon. £119.  BEAR WITH ME.  I know, I know, this doesn't look the best in this pic.  It's the shoes.  But with a pair of, dare I say it, slightly edgier shoes, this could definitely work.  Think Self Portrait... repeat after me... think Self Portrait....







But for me - it's boiled down to two dresses.  I absolutely love both of them but they are incredibly different.  

Annette Dress from Preen Line at Luxe-Layers was £558 now £150  (You must go and look a this website - this dress was almost £700 originally at Matches and went down to £348 or something in the sale.. which is a big big difference.  I may have also bought the Iro boots to go with them... They are definitely not going to be everyone's cup of tea - the top bit of the boot is an actual knitted sock - but I absolutely adore them and they are now £100.  So the boots and the dress together are still less than the dress itself at Matches.)




I do think I'd wear it with the boots though for now and save these sandals for the Spring...
Untitled
And then I reverted back to my comfort zone (seeing as my outing into Rachel Comey territory was so successful..) of Self Portrait.  I tried this on at Selfridges but it's actually cheaper at ASOS and free p&p.  

Self Portrait Oblique Lace Column Midi Dress £300  Yes folks - this goes in the machine.  



(that's my black bra...)


Untitled

I will just finish with another gem (!) to prove that even not all Self Portrait dresses work. 

This should look like this... I had visions of having it altered to midi length.  As I type that, I'm not entirely sure what I was thinking.  Handily it was more Bride of Frankenstein than I had anticipated. 

Self Portrait Pleated Floral Crochet Maxi Dress £325




God love a trier.  See what I mean about Mrs F?  See you at the altar big man.


Untitled 

So it's a toss up between the Self Portrait and the Preen Line dresses.  Either would be perfect for my 7yr old's First Holy Communion in June and for dinner or any other parties (that will hopefully crop up at some time during the year..) 

Which one is best?


Untitled

Outfit from today.  Lovely birthday brunch for a friend of mine - perfect way to spend the morning.  Meetings at school in the afternoon and then all three had haircuts.  Which, if you have an ASD son who hasn't slept properly for we're not sure how long but it's getting worse not better, is an experience.  Still haven't caved on the wine.  Which, frankly, is a miracle.  Very very much looking to my glass on Friday night...

Am loving the culottes.

Untitled

1970 red jumper - Bella Freud

Black pleather culottes - River Island
Black Mira boots - Ash
Quilted jersey biker jacket - Whistles
Monogram scarf - Gucci
Red soho disco bag - Gucci

Tomorrow I start on the quest for party perfection on Saturday.  If I don't get distracted.... (I do mean the food by the way, not more outfit planning.  I've narrowed my choices down, have ordered both, it's which is going to be best....)

Share this:

CONVERSATION

57 comentarios:

  1. Have you seen the Zara self portrait tribute? http://www.zara.com/uk/en/woman/dresses/view-all/lace-dress-c719020p3185253.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's rather fantastic isn't it? Would be too short for me and I think the proportions don't quite work on the model (the waist is too high..) but on a normal person it would be a great buy!

      Delete
  2. Oh how I love the Stevie Nicks pregnancy dress. Legend.

    Much prefer the blue one for a party - fun, not holy communion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gorgeous isn't it?! I think I'm going for the blue one. Will be super useful as well for lots of things I think. (lots of things I'm sure I will have lined up.....!)

      Delete
  3. Blue one for sure - more versatile I think - with gold flats on a balmy holiday eve - you get my drift? X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Implying that we go anywhere hot and balmy...!! But perfect for Summer parties for sure. It never gets that bloody warm here anyway! And also I think for Spring nights, I like having sleeves definitely. Thank you xx

      Delete
  4. Agreed left. The self portrait has the potential to make you look like it's your first communion, and as a fellow second generation Irish Catholic we know that's never a good look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha ha! I actually think with a black Chanel style jacket and black accessories will work for a Communion.

      Delete
  5. I fell in love with the Mango bow dress after seeing it on the WIT blog . Is it very unforgiving ? Can I ask what size you tried please ? Think I may order it just so I can try it . By the way my vote goes to the White SP dress . Thanks . Annette .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear god on me it was hideous. It was a 10 as well but it didn't actually seem small alas. It wasn't even THAT clingy. It was just dog awful on me. WIT is 10, has only had one baby and is pregnant. We are different species...!!! BUT BUT BUT if you are super athletic I think it would be fine. I'm not. Alas.!

      Delete
  6. Both dresses look fab on you but the preen for me is more edgy and unusual and a bit more 'one off' whereas the self portrait one will be available in many guises for months to come. The sandals look great with it too. Wishing you a happy birthday and a wonderful Saturday night. You will be the belle of the ball whatever you wear .....regards toomanychoos(Sarah)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Actually I think I will wear the Preen one with the Iro boots as seen in the pic.. I can wear it in the Spring with the Reiss Sandals. I may also keep the SP one as well - it's so hard to find a dress that's flattering!

      Delete
  7. You do cheer me up! That photo of you in the multi coloured pregnancy dress is too funny! It's not you though, the dress looks terrible on the model too ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bloody awful, isn't it? I thought I might be able to improve it... That'll be a no.

      Delete
  8. For me it's a no brainier. The one on the left looks sublime on you. It skims your tummy (which looks ironing board flat in it btw) and is a lovely mix of colours. the SP is good too but nowhere near on the same level.

    Soooooo not liking the culottes though! Maybe better with tanned legs but it's definitely not a look ill be emulating anytime soon.

    Could you do a post on wedding/races/daytime party looks perhaps? That would be awesome.

    I have a post anaesthetic greyhound (I.e. Major wimp at the best of times) tonight and an absent husband so I may be joining you on the slumber quest!

    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - I think I'm going to keep both. I love both and think both fit well so they'll get worn for sure!

      Daytime party - I'd wear all of the above! I will look at doing more summer dress posts as and when more come into the shops - at the moment, it's a barren wasteland out there!

      Hope you got a good night's sleep xx

      Delete
  9. Just had a quick look at that luxe layers site and thought this dress would look lovely on you and would be perfect for your holy communion. https://www.luxe-layers.com/product/iro-orne-mesh-dress/
    I would try it myself but I don't like to bare my arms if I can help it. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh, it's a beautiful dress but alas, I couldn't wear that to a First Holy Communion - it's way too short (for me) and like you, I don't feel comfortable with that much flesh exposed! It's a bargain dress as well!

      Delete
  10. I tend to disagree with other commentaries, the white SP is just breathtaking on you. You look like a movie star in it. And it's totally appropriate for any kind of Summer parties, and even better with a bit of a tan. Tough choice for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Orrrr I could just keep both and be smug that my summer dress shopping has been tied up in the first week of Feb! Thank you so much - lots of feedback on Insta said the same thing - it was very much 50/50. Which is really the best way to be as I like both. xx

      Delete
  11. Another vote for the Annette (Preen) dress! I love both on you (albeit very different vibes) but I think the Annette dress will be more versatile. Btw gorgeous outfit - love the Hush biker on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - I'm goign with the Preen one for Saturday. That's not the hush biker, that's a super old jersey Whistles one! Need both though as can't wear leather with pleather..! This is the perfect jacket for leather skirts though x

      Delete
  12. Oh, the blue Preen dress is gorgeous on you! I know what you mean about dresses. I have quite a straight up and down figure, and have to be very careful with any kind of waisted dress, as the waist often falls in the wrong place or is just hideously unflattering. Such a shame about the mango dress, the jumper dresses I've got a tunic style and definitely not ribbed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are SO SO hard to find aren't they? I'm keeping both!

      Delete
  13. You've definitely narrowed it down to the best two. Love them both on you Kat. Get both!!! And those IRO boots are fab. Love the honest pics by the way. I'm trying the Mango one on today, but don't expect any pics on my instafeed!! Have fun at the weekend, Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Both??????? I love them equally. Well that's useful then x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Kat, both dresses are amazing on you, but the blue preen with the reiss sandals is just fabulous.. and its very 'you'. Looks like it was made for you. The white dress is also totally gorgeous though.. but blue a winner by only a few %...fabulous. Happy food prepping, hope the party is a blast, Audrey x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Kat, loving your honesty. Not selling yourself cheap in return for free gifts from the big names!! Thanks for featuring the Preen dress and Iro boots, we could not have picked a better role model!! xx. Flavia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so so pleased with them - such a bargain, I really am over the moon. Will be wearing them on Saturday. I also think the SP dress would look amazing with the boots and a biker jacket...! xx

      Delete
  17. Love them both but the white one just wins it. I'd get both as I can never find good dresses either with being tall!xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great advice. It is such a nightmare, isn't it?!

      Delete
  18. Keep both but I think the Preen one is edgy and would be better for the party, whereas the SP one is more demure and would be great for Spring and Summer events. By the way; you look better in the SP one than the model does!! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well you are very kind! I think I will keep both - it really is that hard to find a dress that looks ok x

      Delete
  19. Now I did think about wearing the black one but I've worn it two big parties and a big lunch and literally everyone at the party will have seen it before. Which is no bad thing of course and if I hadn't found anything I would have worn it. But It's going to be a lovely dress to keep in my arsenal of dresses!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh dear... I now have a list of dresses that I just have to try on... ARGH!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Both look fab - either is a winner if I had to choose would go for preen - the ONLY reason is the S-P one will date and also there will be a LOT of them around this summer (& wannabe-SP's), the blue one isn't so fashiony - good lord I sound sensible today...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I think this SP one is quite different to most out there actually and as it is one of the only dresses that I tried on that fits, plus I LOVE it and think it's super versatile, I"m going to keep it x

      Delete
  22. You exaggerate about your stomach in the Mango dress. Please don't do that as it offends those of us who really do have bellies. Buy the blue dress. Looked better on you than on the model.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really sorry if you're offended but alas, I'm not exaggerating about my stomach. I am really really breathing in and it still does not look great by any stretch of the imagination!! I just wanted to prove that doesn't matter how "thin" you are, it doesn't necessarily mean you can wear everything. x

      Delete
  23. Both dresses look lovely on you and I'd agree the Preen one would be perfect for a February party. I would not wear the IRO boots with it though. Not keen on them. It looks great with the sandals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Each to their own! I love love love it with the boots but then I'm a big ankle boot fan and I know lots of people aren't (with dresses that is..) It does look perfect with the sandals, but I'm saving that look for when it's marginally warmer! (and my feet have had a pedi,......!)

      Delete
  24. Loving the dodgy photos! I'm in the minority in that I don't like the Preen dress at all. I think it looks very raggy! Love the SP on you but maybe not for communion. I'd go with the SP for the party.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh it would be such a boring world if we all liked the same thing. Opinion on Instagram was 50/50! I think the SP is absolutely fine for a Communion with the right accessories - ie black!!

      Delete
  25. Both dresses look amazing and are definite keepers. Where did you get the sandals that you are wearing with the blue Preen dress?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. They're Reiss two years ago. They have been worn and worn and worn and worn!

      Delete
  26. Love you in both of them!
    Wondered what you thought of this from M&S for a posh girlie lunch?
    AUTOGRAPH
    Square Print Shirt Dress with Belt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's v DVF actually! It could be quite conservative so I'd probably wear something a bit edgier on my feet. Great price. x

      Delete
  27. Love the blue, both look fab but more edge to the blue one, I love a long sleeve !!! Have fun x

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh my goodness, please tell me you're getting the SP dress?! You look absolutely amazing in it. When I saw the photo of it on the model I thought it was a bit 'meh' but seriously, it looks fantastic on you, I love it!! I'm loving the culottes too - if I could get away with them, I'd be all over them!! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you my love! Well I wore the Preen one but I've got the SP one and think I'll keep it as I'm not sure I'll find better for my littlest's First Holy Communion. x

      Delete