Some say River Dance...

.. and others say just gorgeous shoes. 

I think as we're on our second year of these, it's fair to say these have become mainstream.  Well, more mainstream.  There's nothing unusual about these anymore - we've moved from disgraceful/bonkers to much less controversial.  In fact, I think we can now look at these and not purely see Irish dancing shoes but a delicate and interesting variation on a flat pump or sandal (well, I can anyway so I'm dragging you lot with me).  The husband does still start humming The Fields of Athenry every time I try and show him a pic (I know I know, why would I do that but he claims he likes to be involved...*rolls eyes*), so maybe we're not out of the woods yet. 

But there are now so many options around, all of which offer something slightly different.  And not all of which look like they need poodle socks or a wig to accessorise them.  (you'll possibly only know what poodle socks are if you have an Irish mammy).

We're coming into intermediary territory.  Basically Spring.  So not full on boot weather but we're not quite cracking out the flipflops yet.  These are the ideal option - a flat pump for wearing with dresses, culottes, jeans - hell everything.

Starting with a full on shoe and these have to be my bargain of the day.  Suede for £22.  Amazing. 

Glamorous Dusty Suede Pink Ghillie Tie up flat shoes £22



And in the black suede again £22



Leather at Topshop. 

Kingdom Ghillie Shoes from Topshop £59



However it was these today in Selfridges that I so so so nearly caved on buying.  I didn't as I know I wouldn't wear them.  I love them, I really really do and I adore them on other people.  But if I had the choice between these and a pair of trainers or a plainer pump, I know I'd go for them.  I fear these may be too girly for me *checks head*.  Does that make sense?

Leo lace up ballet flats from Isabel Marant £290



More cut away detail at Topshop although not leather. 

FASE Laser Ghillie shoes from Topshop £29


A similar version again not leather from Miss Selfridge. 

Elia ghillie tie pointed black pump were £35 now £28


Red at Faith at Debenhams.  Absolutely adore these.  Love the back of them.  We're now moving into the more cut away shoe territory... limping towards a sandal.

Atomic Red Faith Shoes £25




Aldo Colyn Nude Ghillie Flats were £65 now £31 in leather.  These are a fantastic buy for now and into the spring months.




Florence Flat from Boden in leopard £79.50




So these were the ones that turned my head and whilst we were in London today it seemed rude not to *try* them just to see what they were like... and all I can say is thank goodness for my hideous white, non sandal feet.  Although they did in fact look acceptable but at this stage or £290 I don't want acceptable, I want goddess feet (to be fair, that would take a miracle and then some, as I have feet a Hobbit would be ashamed of, so the shoes really have done a pretty good job). 

Alisa open toe wraparound sandals from Isabel Marant £290




Untitled

Not remotely the same but definitely a variation on the theme.

Black Peeptoe Ghillie Pumps from New Look £17.99




Then of course there are the classic Fig Sandals from Topshop which I did try last year and they didn't work at all.  I cannot for the life of me remember why as they looked so great on everyone else but alas, I do recall them being a no.  Maybe I should try again. 

Fig Lace up Sandals from Topshop £39



Another investment (code for expensive) option from LK Bennett.  I do have a 15% off code though which makes them vaguely more palatable.  TREAT15 for 15% off.  These are sincerely beautiful but again I fear, too pretty for my Hobbit feet.

Jackie Flat Black Sandals from LK Bennett £275 from the Bionda Castana collab.



Off piste slightly and we're moving into full on sandal territory but the lace up round the ankle means they're fair game? (clutches at straws).

Tiffany Sandals from MaxMara £160




And then I came across these.  Super minimalist but with just the right amount of detailing in the lace up round the ankle.  Basically the same - yes I'd say identical to the MaxMara ones for a smidge of the price.  And they have them in tan online too.  My work here is done.

Holly Ankle tie sandal from Topshop in leather £22



Obviously I can't stop thinking about the Alisas from Isabel Marant in the black and combining them with the latter Topshop bargains in tan.  But it just seems Too Early to buy sandals in February.  We may be heading to Ireland at Easter but I think that's a real stretch on the justification (although I have been known to almost freeze my tootsies off as I had bought holidays shoes especially for holiday - in Ireland... woeful justification and I nearly lost a toe to frostbite as a result.  Lesson learnt, alas).

But the shoes... are you a Ghillie fan?  Or are you more of a plain pump/sneaker lover?  
  So I had a lovely lovely day in London with my 11yr old and one of her best friends.  Weather was fantastic, it wasn't that busy at all, managed a trip to the Me+Em shop (which I will bring you shortly as I had a lovely time playing dress up), lots of goodies for the daughter from New Look Teen (they've got some lovely stuff in actually - a khaki jacket I would personally love, as well as some black dungarees and great nightwear) and lunch at Carluccios - a really good gluten free menu if anyone else is interested.  We were going to go to Hix in Selfridges which is our usual haunt but it's shut.  Walked all the way there only to find it had closed down. " Oh yes", says the 11yr old  "I had googled it and found out it was shut".  Information which she didn't bother to SHARE.  Gifted in common sense she is.  Carluccios came to the rescue.


Untitled

Black silk knit polo neck - Jigsaw
Black wide leg cropped trousers - Me+Em
Black Onyx biker jacket - hush
Brown monogram scarf - Gucci
Red Superstar sneakers - Golden Goose
Black Hazlemere tote bag - Village England

I can't believe we've made it the last day of the hols.  Where did it go?  I can also count on one hand the number of meltdowns from middle child which is the biggest improvement ever and so wine was only needed from Wednesday night onwards.  This is a miracle of massive proportions and we are all surviving.  Going to enjoy our last lie in tomorrow morning (the joy of weekend activities that don't stop at half term, thanks a bunch) and then the obligatory hour of torture (aka a dog walk).  Followed by maybe the cinema as a treat if they manage to walk without me wanting to bash them round the head with a twig for their incessant whining...  Dinner party tomorrow night and I have to say I am super looking forward to heels!  I may even crack out a short dress and opaques (cue me wearing trousers).  

Hope everyone else is surviving?  Would love to hear what your plans are for Spring footwear.

Share this:

CONVERSATION

42 comentarios:

  1. Oh I do love ghillie flats & feel the need for a pair of red and/or leopard...probably both! And I have to get the Topshop Holly sandals, they'll be perfect for my evening sandal for Rome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're perfect day to night sandals aren't they? I would happily wear them for walking miles in but then I am slightly weird....

      Delete
  2. Love the Alisa's ....they look like they hug your foot well- something I find the cheaper ones don't seem to do. Were they comfy?? Did you see the Isabel marant etoile camilas? As seen on matches... They are more rustic looking with rope straps but also cheaper. Which would mean I could get a 2nd pair....At the moment I favour the Alisa still but don't know whether to go black or tan....decisions! Glad you enjoyed your day...from Sarah (toomanychoos)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh god they do fit really well. Hmmm decisions decisions, isn't it just too early to cave? They were also super comfortable. I mean really really comfy in the softest leather. The Camilas are lovely but they're not what I'm looking for. I'm thinking the Alisas and the Hollys (former in black, latter in tan) would be perfect. I've also seen some lovely chunkier two strap sandals (again rather Marant.. or Givenchy originals!) in Finery but they're not online yet.

      Delete
  3. Ooh look forward to seeing your Me & Em purchase. They didn't give you a discount code did they? Am waiting for one before I put my order in! Love the shoes but still a bit early for me. It's freezing up north! Living in GG at present with sheepskin liners!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm working on a discount code... bear with me... And yes, the GGs are definitely going to get me through spring!

      Delete
  4. Alas I am the nay voice, love them on others and those ones looked fab on you but I have proper Frodo hobbitses...wide feet and bunions and these on me frighten the villagers. I have never found a ballet flat that I could wear either.... Look forward to seeing whats in the bag. Treat birthday day in that there London in March and Me and Em on my list - haven't been there before!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You see I don't think I can personally wear the shoe versions - I just feel wrong in them but the sandal version is a completel different kettle of fish. Go figure.... Definitely go to the shop. It's so great to be able to try everything on, it really is.

      Delete
  5. Loving the nude Aldo's !!! Just discovered your blog this week as I was following hush on Instagram I'm a 41 yr old mummy of a 4 yr old and feel since school runs have started I am purchasing the staple gilet with patterns and hooded macs !! Help I was shouting always been a Zara top shop and High end accessories kinda girl but what an earth happens when u start the school thing omg where did my identity go !! Any ways with some straight talking and some fashion inspiration I'm back on track X thank you I love your style and it's so good and refreshing that as we creep over the 40 something we don't have to "lose ourselves " ��

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved the Aldo's so much I went and purchased them they are down to £20 along with a pair of nude sneakers !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How good is that? Love it when a plan comes together x

      Delete
  7. Kat, I'm laughing at your Irish dancing shoes comments. Last year I dismissed these out of hand as I thought they were way too like the Irish dancing ones but lo and behold after a year of seeing them on blogs and in real life I have been converted and am now the proud owner of two pairs!I have a red pair and a leopard pair. I love them now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it's always the way, fear not. You are so not alone in this..!

      Delete
  8. I'm definitely in the trainers/comfy shoes camp. As you say, they look great on everyone else but I know I'd never wear them if I brought any home. In fact, I finally caved and bought two pairs of glove shoes (the Topshop Juno ones) that were just simply divine for walking. I also find them oddly attractive when paired with straight ankle-cropped jeans. Anyway, can't wait for your Me&Em post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true. I'm not sure about the glove shoes but then I do tend to find something I like and then stick with it . Plus I only have so many feet and so many days to wear shoes on!! Me+Em stuff is FAB.

      Delete
  9. I'm with you, can't justify these at £290 when you can get ones just as nice for £22, especially if we're only going to wear them for a summer or two...and especially when there's trainers out there with our name on!
    PS the Florida shoes from Seven Boot Lane arrived yesterday and they fit like a dream, love them so much I decided I wouldn't wear them out of the house until the weather was guaranteed to be perfect...then the dog promptly picked one up to present to my husband when he came in from work...so now I'm over being precious and will happily wear them out ASAP!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking of how much though I wore my £15 Forever21 one sandals last year and I reckon if I wear them from March through to October, I could get my moneys worth... Plus if you can wear them for smart and casual... (justifications, justifications...!!) Oh and I'm SO pleased the Floridas are lovely. Will definitely be wearing my Dakotas loads this year.

      Delete
  10. Oh I think BUY THEM.. its not too early, when you want them in 2 months time they'll be gone. Go for it. I love them all, bought the copy Aquazurra ones back in 2014 and now have a few different pairs. My budget is more Aldo than Isabel though :-( also, I'm a lazy B and only buy the ones with a zip at the back.. can't handle all that lace wrapping around! I'm Irish and don't mind the diddly-eye reference to the irish dancing at all, never think of it:-) Isabel ones are gorgeous, get them so I can admire for afar. Audrey x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know whether I love you or loathe you ...!!! Thank you xxxxx

      Delete
  11. I love this look, but always wonder if the straps fall off your calf.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh I couldn't wear them done up my calf - I'd look like a rolled shoulder of pork. I prefer to tie them round the ankle only!

      Delete
  12. Eek! I've ordered the black Alisa's!! Why wait only to find my size sold out! Heading to summery climes in 7 weeks anyway....Liking your tan Holly idea.....on your head be it doesmybumlook40!!! Hahahahaha
    Sarah X (toomanychoos)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG OMG OMG don't.. I fear I may have to too.

      Delete
  13. I got the IM Leo lace ups in tan a few weeks ago - I'd loved them all last year so wanted to get in before they sold out again - but they were soooooo disappointing I sent them back - did the same with a self portrait off the shoulder top this week too - this disappointment is saving me a fortune 😖

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? Oh no, why? I think they're so much better in the flesh than the look on pics! Ditto Self Portrait dresses but they are all a very individual fit for sure. I have tried on some humdingers.

      Delete
  14. Good luck with the jacket comparison! I have to say my favourite flat style in a shoe is definitely either a plain ballet flat or a slipper style plain one.. I've tried the strappy ones and I'm just not comfortable in them. bummer!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Jut went to order the Aldo shoes as very lovely but zillions of reviews (with photos) saying the leather on the back peels away after minimal wear. Disappointed that I will have to pass.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have come round to these, I like most of these but think the nude ones are quite unusual, not sure they would suit me though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the idea of a nude shoe! It's strange that we've been wearing nude heels for ages but the idea of a flat seems so much more unusual.

      Delete
  17. Sorry I can not consider sandals in February way too early for me and still too cold. You should do a post on wet weather gear with this current weather!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've had gorgeous sunshine most of the week! However I am thinking of doing a trench blog... Really want to wear mine more this season. Must be more French...!

      Delete
  18. I adore my next black ones and they worked so well with so many outfits last year. Can't wait to get them back out again when it's marginally warmer than bloody freezing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's something about that extra bit of flesh exposure on the top that makes them just TOO cold to wear at the moment. Happily wear trainers and my pumps. Soon though... it's supposed to be tropical this weekend!

      Delete
  19. Must dust down Boden navy lace ups from last year - thanks for the reminder ready to do a jig on the 17th March! Also visited Uniqlo when in London & am very pleased with my Carine Roitfeld blaser & scarf. Any chance of signposting suits that you could wear wether working in the/from home or at the office - I love the idea of being able to switch from heels to trainers as the day demands but cannot find any interesting suits anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh fab buys. I've just got a new blazer and I definitely have a blazer blog in the offing.. And there are bottoms to go with it.. coming soon. To be honest, I find it much easier (even though I don't have to wear a suit suit) to wear non matching bottoms and tops. I just think it gives more options and looks less suity (whilst still being smart...) does that make sense?!

      Delete
  20. I bought some of these in a gorgeous red suede from TKMaxx about 3 months ago, but with all the rain I've not worn them yet. That and the fact I have short dumpy kegs and am not convinced I can carry them off with jeans. Maybe with a skirt when the weather gets a bit warmer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Red suede and rain do not mix! I think they'd look great with cropped jeans?

      Delete
  21. So pretty but not sure I can even consider something that skimpy whilst my feet still need thick socks on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it's not that cold! I've had bare ankles all week!

      Delete
  22. Great selection... but I hate it when they are all tied up until halfway the calf... I think it is much prettier when the straps are just tied around the ankle. Haven't tried this style before... Love, Kathleen

    ReplyDelete