Midlife crisis time

I can't get enough of leather.  Or pleather.  I'm not proud but I am all over it.  In fact, must..stop...flooding my wardrobe with it.  I fear I'm starting to look part serial killer.  At the very least, I'm ever so slightly concerned it's the start of a mid life crisis.  Although if I'm honest, I'm rather miffed there wasn't more of it around when my kids were tiny as it's the perfect wipe down fabric for snot, puke, poo or babyfood (admittedly if it were poo I would have washed it.  Maybe... oh who am I kidding, I so would just have hosed myself down with half a pack of wet wipes and a gazillion squirts of Lime, Basil and Mandarin). 

You will all be pleased to hear, there is no Harley on order.  And I'm still resisting the temptation to do "double leather" (I actually feel a bit sick imagining what comes up if you google that.. ).  I do genuinely think though that, like leopard print, leather or faux leather (and really, the latter can be easily as good as the real thing) these days it's totally acceptable in any outfit.  A while ago, I personally felt, it was really only the domain of the out out.  School run in leather trews - are you freaking kidding me?

But now, there is no occasion where we can't drag out a bit of leather.  I'm blaming blue denim.  And me falling out of love with it and having to replace it with something and hey ho - it's now the leather and pleather that I can't get enough of.  

Looking for new trousers for the Spring and I've already said that I'm in the market for comfort (she says, hoping this isn't the final step before zimmer frame), so I was over the moon when I found the Tall version of these joggers which I've been umming and ahhing over (got to love ASOS and their 28 day returns policy).  I got the regular version a couple of weeks ago and wasn't sure - basically they were too short on me.  Duh.  But I loved the fit at the waist.  Then found the Tall version reduced and I am officially in love with a pair of trousers.  My new season version of the New Look coated jeans.

Can't recommend the regular ones highly enough if you're not 5ft10.  Really great quality - I would honestly defy you not to double take and think they're leather.  They also have a wide flat drawstring waistband which is much more flattering than an elasticated version.

ASOS Leather Look Joggers £35.  They also do these in a Tall version which are in the sale as well.  ASOS Tall Leather Look Joggers were £35 now £21.

Plus outfit inspiration right here.  The most versatile pair of trousers in your wardrobe, I'm betting you now.




Other options which aren't joggers but are still a good price (these ones have a proper waistband).

Killing Moon PU High Waisted leather look trousers from Topshop £42



Another option from MaxMara in the Matches sale.  

Juditta Trousers were £275 now £135



Joggers though are clearly the way to go - new in season at My Theresa from Isabel Marant.  To be honest, if I had a choice looking at these and the ASOS ones.  Hmmm, well I love you Ms Marant but I have to say I'd still go for the ASOS ones.

Jan faux leather joggers from Isabel Marant £155




Or there are the skinnier versions (for me at the moment, it's the looser ones which have the most appeal.  You may or may not have noticed that I slightly overdosed on skinny pleather/leather trews this Winter) from Marant as well.

Jeffery Faux Leather trousers by Isabel Marant £155



Moving onto some more interesting colour options - pink.  Now bear with me.  I appreciate this is a tad WHOA but this with all those winter greys you've got hanging around, with a white tee, black blazer and black flats, wouldn't these be a great alternative to a Spring outfit, making use of those other things you already have in your wardrobe. 

ASOS Leather Look Joggers £35 These are the same as my black ones and I honestly can't recommend them highly enough.



Moving onto skirts and culottes now.  Again - I'm a fan of these and have one leather A line midi, pleated pleather midi and pleather culottes.  

ASOS Midi Pencil Skirt in leather £85




When it comes to faux leather/suede numbers, River Island really does come up tops.  In the pencil department anyway.  These are great for work with a blouse (and I have lots of those coming up shortly) or I like the idea for more casual with an oversized knit.  I say "like the idea" as I've never mastered the pencil skirt.. haven't managed to find one the right length and don't ever seem to have the occasion to wear it.. I could do for a lunch but then I already favour the A line versions.  One day maybe... tis a case of not being able to do all of the fashions all of the time.  Other people - please rock them for me...

Black Faux Suede Pencil Skirt from River Island £32




Black Whipstitch Leather look skirt from River Island £45






Navy leather look block panel pencil skirt from River Island £32




And another navy version at Autograph at M&S £49.50  I've seen this in the flesh and it really does look and feel exactly like leather.



If you thought pink was out there, this one may well have you running for the either the hills or the sick bucket.  I have to say I'm quite taken with it.. in another life.  Because we're talking white.

ASOS Leather Look White skirt with utility pockets £50



However whilst I haven't managed to master the pencil skirt, I am a definite advocate of the flared midi variety. 

And although the pink trousers above may be a tad out there, it doesn't seem remotely as much of a leap to wear a pink skirt. 

PU Pleated Midi Skirt from Topshop £55



Very like a skirt, but not a skirt.  Culottes.  In the most amazing blush colour. 

ASOS Leather Look Blush Structured Culottes £35



Mango A Line faux leather skirt in grey was £49.99 now £32  This look could not be more me.  I LOVE it all.  Shoes shoes which are admittedly, I now have to acquiesce, a step above my paygrade with regards to heel height.  But generally, I am having a complete shoe boot love in (as I mentioned).  




And a cross between a full and a pencil skirt.  In the flesh this looks identical to the Whistles number which is about ten times as much (admittedly leather though...)

PU Midi Wrap Skirt from Topshop was £45 now £22





Other culottes - just to prove I practise what I preach, these are the ones I have from River Island which I love.  Size bang on. 

River Island Faux Leather Culottes were £38 now £24.50



And if we're playing leather bingo, I'm so tempted to get the pleather dungarees I had on the blog the other day, just so I can yell house.

So am I heading towards a mid life crisis with my ongoing leather obsession?  Or I am just heading towards serial killer vogue?  Please tell me I'm not the only one?

Here today in the new joggers.  For £21 I couldn't say no and I have high hopes of them being one of the most worn items of clothing this season. 


Untitled

Black and white top - H&M
Faux leather joggers - ASOS
Military jacket - Zara
Cracked leather Stan Smiths - adidas
Yellow scarf - hush
Hazlemere tote in black - Village England
Sheepskin black wrist warmers - Topshop

Hope everyone else had a good day.  Day two of the holidays, this morning we had a not too well 9yr old - just a sore throat and hacking cough but by early afternoon he was climbing the walls, so I wrapped everyone up and we all walked into town with the dog.  Paninis at Caffe Nero (only place you can take the dog in - such a shame as other towns have so many dog friendly cafes) and a quick purchase of The Martian on DVD for a movie night tonight.  Whilst the kids have showers though, I've got a cheeky half hour planned perusing the new Spring collection at hush which is now online!  Wishlist here we come...

Share this:

CONVERSATION

47 comentarios:

  1. Can I ask what the sizing is like on the Asos joggers? I've been umm-ing and err-ing over them for a while now, maybe I should just take the plunge?! Also, how long exactly are the tall ones? I'm wondering if the regular ones would be too cropped. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sizing is SPOT on. I'm a regular 10 in the bottoms everywhere and these are a regular 10. The tall are very tall. They are full length on me and I'm 5ft10 with a 36inch inside leg! The ONLY reason I was umming and ahhing over the regular ones was that I already have a pair from H&M which were a fiver and are also a tad short. So couldn't really justify another pair that were also cropped. On your average normal person the regular would be a perfect length I'd say.

      Delete
    2. Great, that's me sorted - thank you!

      Delete
    3. Hope you love them as much as I do xx

      Delete
  2. You are not alone Kat! I have pleather joggers, skinnies, midi, flared, aline mini & culottes (crumbs, that's a lot... Never realised!)... Love them all. Just make you look great! Oh and I have 2 dresses.... Just recently bought the Zara faux leather long sleeved dress - super cute shape.... Check it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh high five. Ok so maybe there's just two of is..! You have reminded me I also have an A line mini... and of course leather leggings.. and jeans.. hmmm this may be more of an issue that I thought! You win at a dress though. I'll check out the Zara one but just be warned.. one of my friends had a short pleather dress which split down the back at a dinner party! Needless to say I've therefore eyed them up but haven't gone for them! I'm sure hers was a one off though. On another note, I did get a maxi dress from there, delivered today and OMG the Medium, could fit me and all my children in. It was MASSIVE.

      Delete
    2. Crumbs - are you going to reorder S/XS? Here's the link to the dress.... It's not a tight fitting shape so hopefully won't split like your friends!!! Love your blog Kat...keeps me entertained & helps my wardrobe!
      http://m.zara.com/uk/en/woman/dresses/view-all/faux-leather-dress-c719020p3209103.html

      Delete
    3. Oh no that is super super cute. The one she had was a drop waist short one that was much tighter on the bodice. Very very different - this you'd be fine with!

      So this is the dress I ordered and I got the Medium (and the large which is still in the box) and OMG - it's honestly like a bell tent on me. She must be wearing an XXXXXXXS. I'll do a show and tell shortly. It's fooking dire.

      http://www.zara.com/uk/en/woman/dresses/maxi/long-dress-with-floral-print-c400008p3185074.html

      Delete
    4. Beautiful dress! Similar style to one I bought last year from Zara (Orange, white, turquoise flowers) but was too big on the waist part.... Tho still wish I'd not sent it back... :( xx

      Delete
    5. That's the same as this. There is no tailoring at the waist at all. It literally is just a sack with no fitting at all. They must have pulled it in in the pic above. I have to say it's just too hipster for me. I look less cool and more bag lady in it.

      Delete
  3. Oh they are SO so so perfect. Well I'm assuming no problem to wash.. I can't say I have yet (only got them at the weekend) but my other pleather trousers I've always washed no problem. Even the Zara ones which say don't wash, don't dry clean, don't get wet (what - so they're disposable??!) I've washed in the machine on handwash absolutely fine x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the grey midi skirt, it's gorgeous. It sounds daft but I feel that I live somewhere that if I left the house wearing a leather skirt or joggers, folks would stare at me like I had 3 heads......so not entirely unlike when I wear my biker jacket or red lipstick on the school run really!! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it will assume on what your peers are like... It is hard to be very different from everyone else but do you not find that if you trailblaze with the red lippie and the biker, it might give someone else the confidence to also give it a go...?!

      Delete
  5. Love these, a definite alternative to the pleather skinnies.
    As for the Hush collection, it's perfect! Love so much of it and ordered 3 items this afternoon. Would have been more but I'm pacing myself. They have the Triangle dress back again and it comes in a lovely blush pink that looks gorgeous ... That went straight in my basket, along with the summer jumpsuit in olive and a plain pink long sleeved tee that is apparently quite sweatshirt like.
    Trying to resist going back for another look
    Enjoy your perusal! I'm sure you will end up making an order.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is honestly honestly all gorgeous. There's even MORE than they showed me at their head office. The jumpsuits are amazing, but I really can't justify them seeing as I have mine from last year (which I smugly shall be wearing loads - whoop!). Is the plain pink long sleeved tee a linen fabric? Or no actually there's another that's like a really fine jumper which is ideal for layering or wearing under blazers. Oh it's all TOO TOO gorgeous.

      Delete
    2. It certainly is! Sent the long sleeved jumpsuit back today and am looking forward to trying the smaller size in the summer style. I have a black sleeveless one from last summer in a lovely jersey so thought the olive would be the way to go. Looking forward to the pink too, hopefully it's still quite a muted shade as I really don't do BRIGHT.
      Have been wearing my NL pleather skinnies today, they are pretty much on repeat along with the Boden coated skinnies (which are completely different!)

      Delete
    3. You need both don't you? Told you so! I completely agree, mine are a different fit and a different coating but both are equally as useful and have been my staple all Winter!

      Delete
  6. I'm definitely a pleather fan Kat! Nearly kept the Topshop wrap skirt a couple of weeks ago but returned it. I feel much more me in culottes. So am off to give the River culottes a try. Cheers! Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean. I have to say on a daily basis I've got my head (last year anyway) about wearing dresses on a daily basis but a skirt still hasn't made it into my mainstream everyday. Culottes or cropped trousers weirdly I can do. Go figure!

      Delete
  7. Love a bit of pleather! Wanted to get the tall leggings for my long legged wife but alas - all sold out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh nooooooo. Worth keeping an eye on though as they do come back into stock.

      Delete
    2. Yup, thanks for that as I had another look and managed to snag a pair!

      Delete
  8. I bought a pleather a-line skirt at the beginning of autumn and god, what a great buy. I think the trick is to dress it down - I wear mine with crew-neck jumpers, opaques and flat Chelsea boots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to wear mine more! That sounds GORGEOUS. That's how I wear my culottes. Which is a big step forward for me!

      Delete
  9. Hi I'm worried about bottom size issues with the joggers! I'm easing myself in and having finally purchased some plain cotton Hush ones. I think i need to wait for some pleather ones in M&S, that said I have some returns that could be swopped very nicely for their navy skirt! Think you look great and totally agree about wipe ability. I had a very sicky second child and spent years being smelly and damp, where was the pleather jumpsuit then?!! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We would have lived in them, wouldn't we??! Hmm bottom size issues, I do get what you mean but I figure I never see myself from the back and i'm not sure anyone else is interested. I have the opposite issue - saggy arse. Thing baggy nappy look. Oh I'm not that bothered though as they look ok everywhere else and omg they're comfy!

      Delete
  10. The new Malabar in Riverhead allows dogs ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's brilliant to know but it's waaaaaaaaay too far for me to walk there. SOB!

      Delete
  11. Oh no, definitely NOT a mid-rise crisis. Our generation are just more cool as we get older;). I think if it's ok for Isabel Marant then it must be good. I have loved my New Look coated skinnies, but the coating is going so I need more... my error was to only have one pair. Obviously, I need to have several options on the go at any one time.

    I have a Mint Velvet pleather jacket, which I have worn loads, H&M had some biker style coated skinnies in which I might have to try on. The joggers look great too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have skinnies on again today but I feel like they need to be shelved for the next 8 months! I need loose. You know when you've just overdone a silhouette to death...! Did it last winter and have done it a fair bit this season too. Am feeling the need for a change....

      Delete
  12. I've got issues with leather and pleather! Blame it on Ross in Friends-don't fancy sweating in leather trousers! Maybe a pencil skirt is the answer.
    I know what you mean about teaming leather with leather - I'm the same about denim, the old canadian Tux! Would it be a bikers tux with leather?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly leather trousers these days aren't remotely sweat inducing but I know where you're coming from. A pencil skirt would be a great place to start.

      And the though of a bikers tux is too hideous to contemplate. Basically you'd be Suzi Quatro.

      Delete
  13. I like the pop of yellow that you use. Nice ideas thank you. Can I sound a bit mean about dogs? I wouldn't go in a cafe if there were dogs in, so I think I can understand cafe owners. Sorry :( x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh don't worry about it all! I feel the same way now about cafes with toddlers but alas, they're still allowed! In my experience, dogs are far less of an intrusion to a quiet coffee than a table of screaming toddlers!!

      Delete
    2. I wont even mention a service station on the A14 and a one year olds nuclear nappy!
      As for the cafe, it'd depend on the place and the dogs who were in it at the time. Our local eatery has a great terrace for warm weather dining, our pooch loves it!

      Delete
    3. A service station is fair game. Anything goes....! That's the thing isn't it - I think it all depends on the sort of dog (I would say the same thing about kids and even adults for that matter.. there are very places I can really take the 9yr old unless he's armed with an ipad!)

      Delete
  14. Fair enough - when my son was a toddler he vomited all over a table in a cafe. That cleared it!! Lol! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh gosh poor poor wee thing (and you!). Obviously I'm a MASSIVE hypocrite as I used to take my kids out to cafes and was Queen of the Apologetic Look. I now realise how much people must have hated us..! I don't really mind them of course but if you gave me a choice, sitting next to a toddler wouldn't be my first choice of table. Give me a puppy though.....

      Delete
  15. Yellow scarf is fantastic. Loving yellow but not sure it loves me. Bought a large yellow cushion instead!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And if that's your sunshine and makes you happy, that's the most important thing. x

      Delete
  16. LOVE the joggers - they are identical to my H and M ones I got last year with a wide waist band. Pleather joggers in for two years in a row...who woulda thought!!! x

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am so sure you bought these and wrote about them last year or earlier in the year?? It was the reason I went and bought them then - they are such good quality, mine have lasted a year & a few washes!

    ReplyDelete
  18. OK - WEIRD COMPUTER JUST PUT THIS POST UP FIRST!! IGNORE MY WEIRDNESS!!! hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  19. There is SHOCKING news in the sports betting industry.

    It has been said that every bettor needs to see this,

    Watch this or stop betting on sports...

    Sports Cash System - Robotic Sports Betting Software

    ReplyDelete