Is it a sign of getting older or wiser..

....when you are more drawn to flats than you are heels.  I'm going definitely wiser and - in my dreams - a tad more chic.  I'll let you into a secret that when I wear flats, I (hilariously) think I look vaguely Parisian.  And no, I haven't even had a glass of wine before or during typing this (am attempting dry Feb during the week a la semi dry Jan.  Day two and we're winning).

As those of you who have read the blog for a while may be aware, I go through stages where I become obsessed with all things vaguely French.  Not "actually" French (as in things genuinely from France - duh) I should probably point out, as that would be sensible and I'm flighty, vapid and vague as they come.  Oh no - just things that in my head make me look French.  French as in Parisian chic obviously (obviously...).

I have previously mentioned what I consider to be the epitome of French style - maybe I'll revisit, but it's certainly less is more.  And black.  There is something about black, black and more black (hint of white, I'll give you that) that is just pure Parisian class in my eyes (although thinking about it, tis also very Milanese.. maybe I'm having a Euro crisis here). 

Either way, a flat black version of a pump is a must.  Completely non negotiable as they are actually magic shoes.  They can turn a pair of otherwise dull black skinnies into the chicest outfit ever.  As I'm writing this, interestingly I chose yesterday to team mine with dark indigo turned up jeans.  Which was ok at the time and it made a vaguely interesting change but yet again, I spent all day wishing I had just worn a pair of faithful black jeans.  My love affair with blue denim does definitely seem to be on the rocks - if not over...  I shall be remedying that outfit error later in the week and be re-wearing my flats with one of my beloved black pairs.

We'll start from the most embellished which I know are so popular and I absolutely adore them on other people.  Yet I can't quite make them work.  Who knows why?  Although these, with an otherwise plain outfit would make a great statement.  More than a hint of Valentino about them.  Rockstud at a not very rockstud price anyone?

Aldo Zerah Black Studded Flat shoes £50



Losing the studs - these are just gorgeous.  With cropped flares or skinnies, breton top, biker jacket, trench or blazer, these are going to turn me into Audrey... (maybe).  Can we all make note of the BLACK SKINNIES they've been teamed with (hating my blue jeans more with every passing sentence).

Warehouse Patent T Bar pump £42



These are possibly the most unBoden shoes ever.  Completely gorgeous.  I actually really love the wooden heel.  Think it makes them look about four times as expensive.

Florence Flat Point from Boden £69.50




You can rely on M&S to bring us a pair (complete with soles that have been made from angel's wings so comfort won't be an issue at all).

Suede Pointed Strap Pumps with Insolia Flex from M&S in black £49.50



More designer inspiration and again - a lovely pair from Boden.  Not Chloe - but Boden...  Again.  These are just perfect.
Scallop Point from Boden £69.50



Plain pointed now at New Look and leather for less than £20.  Yes.  Less than £20.

New Look Wide Fit Leather Ballet Pumps £19.99



Completely classic now at M&S, again with a great price for a timeless pump.

Leather Ballerina Pumps with Insolia Flex from M&S £29.50


Padded Chanel style for a 10th of the price at Office.

Cecilia Top Cap Ballerina Pumps £56





Slightly less conventional but I happen to adore these.  And again, leather for £20?  You simply can't go wrong. 

Jesse Black Ballet Flats from Urban Outfitters £20




And now - onto my personal favourites, the pointed, plainer flats. 


Clara Pointed Flat from Jigsaw £89 (even though this does look like a bit of charcoal at the front, as it's my beloved grey, I can forgive that.)








We've swayed very slightly (ok completely but they're a delicate pump version...) into loafer land.  

Kimi Leather Pointed Loafer from Topshop £39




And finishing with my new pair that, after I raved so much about my red suede Christmas ones (please can it stop raining so I can actually wear them out of the house?), Jemima Vine sent me, from their sale range - black lizard leather pumps.

Edie Lizard Black Pumps from Jemima Vine were £159 now £99  The pictures do not At All, do these justice.  And alas, you can't see how comfortable they are as well.  




Imagine outfit without blue jeans.. (I did in fact like it with I put it on yesterday but have gone off it and them in a big way now.  I may put them all in the loft so I can't wear them... Although I do like them with navy... )

The shoes are fabulous.  The quality of a designer shoe (which they are!) for now less than £100.

Untitled

Black cashmere roll neck - Cocoa Cashmere
Grey military coatigan - 3.1 Phillip Lim
Indigo Baxter jeans - Topshop
Red leopard print scarf - Louis Vuitton
Back Harker Hands Free bag - Anya Hindmarch
Black Edie pumps - Jemima Vine

So we've done classic black bags, we've done classic black shoes, oh and black trousers.... what's next that I can cross off my classic list?  I'll give this some thought shortly as I'm now in full party mode.  I've had some dresses delivered.  There are some highs (one which arrived today and another that I went to Selfridges to try on) and there have been some lows (for a sneak peak go over to Instagram - @doesmybumlook40).  I shall be reporting back tomorrow.  You all have permission to laugh.  A lot.

Share this:

CONVERSATION

34 comentarios:

  1. Oh I know what you mean about blue jeans - I haven't worn a pair in over a year. Love the rock stud style flats. Can I ask your ace opinion on gillies high heel peep toes in black with black opaque tights - do or don't? I have to go to a wedding next week and can't face bare legs in the cold. The dress is also black - a copy of a self portrait style so fullish mesh skirt over tighter shorter underlay. Will tights look silly? or should I just start drinking early to numb the pain from the cold?!! Tia x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm they're not peep toe are they? I wouldn't wear opaque but I would wear nude for sure. Definitely definitely definitely. I had bare legs on Friday and really regret not wearing nude tights. Even though I was fake tanned to the hilt, you can't stop a goosebump and that's not attractive an even the brownest of skin! Have a good time xxx

      Delete
  2. Hi Kat, really enjoying your classics posts. I'd also like to ask about tights, do you think nude tights would look OK with the m and s pointed strappy pumps like the black ones in your post but in the mink colour,which I've bought to wear with a green and cream print dress to a daytime event in march. I also hate cold legs, many thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you need to try them on but if they're a nude I think that would be fine. Just check for Nora Batty ankles!

      Delete
    2. I will do, thanks Kat. Best wishes, Elaine

      Delete
    3. You're more than welcome (and thank you for your lovely comments xxx)

      Delete
  3. I have those Aldo Zerah flats - they are beyond comfortable! Oddly, being tall, you'd think I'd always lived in flat shoes, but it's only lately that I've been converted. And while the jury's out on the wisdom bit, I'm definitely feeling older these days :-D xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too!! And god yes, there isn't an iota of wise going on here either xxx

      Delete
    2. I really like those Aldo shoes, but as a non tall person with big feet (1.65m, 41 shoes) would I look ridiculous? How far does the shoe extend past the toes?

      Delete
    3. Hopefully Becky can help you with that!!

      Delete
  4. Tia, I would say don't to the black opaques but do to some 7-10 denier natural skin tone ones.

    Loving the first shoe, nearly bought the m&s version today and may still go back for them. Also loving the Jigsaw ones but I'm sure I've seen them without the lace - which is what I'm after. Sooooo not liking the jemima vine pumps, too plain, too dull, too old womanish and zero style.

    Got a few events where I'm needing dresses this year so I shall follow your progress with more attention than usual.

    Loving the new style blog. Very contemporary. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I completely agree with the nudes. Great minds.

      But I have to say I LOVE the Jemima Vine Edies. Each to their own but in a pump I look for completely plain. I want them to be totally classic - I love the juxtaposition of a pair of completely plain shoes with a much edgier outfit. I wouldn't wear them all the time as I like to mix up my footwear but I think they're the perfect addition to a pair of boot cut crops, tee and a biker jacket. They're also my go to for dungarees - just to keep me not looking like a TV presenter!

      Am on the case with the dresses I have TWO but omg I have looked at so so many! Will be back with an update!

      xx

      Delete
  5. I think I'm Audrey Hepburn in my ballet pumps and cropped skinnies ;) (no seriously)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh god no I TOTALLY DO! Doesn't everyone?

      Delete
    2. Of course! It's a classic Audrey look..

      Delete
  6. I think these look so amazing if you have long gazelle legs like yours, I wish I could do this trend. I'm not particularly short,?at 5,5, size 12, curvy, but I just can't!. In other news, did you happen to read about or see holly w on this morning in that amazing dress!, I am now obsessed!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Karen millen stripe knit , it is just perfection

      Delete
    2. No I think they're really cute on more petite people but I can see if you would prefer some height. One of my sister in laws is the same height as you and she hates not wearing heels!

      I did see the dress actually - the navy one? I have to say, it's not me at all but it looked amazing amazing on her. I do wonder though if she had serious spanx scaffolding going on underneath as it was very very very smoothlined..... !! (and fair play to her if she did! It looked great on her)

      Delete
    3. Oh I know, I thought it looked rather smooth bump free on her, she did look great in it, I would like it to wear with trainers

      Delete
    4. I am with your sister in law on this, I like a bit more height! X

      Delete
  7. Flats are so under rated. xx
    www.assessorise.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow - fabulous bargains. I have to say, personally I just can't make the strappy ones work, I could do a single ankle strap but the ones with more details just don't work on me. SOB. But anyway, you can't make all the shoes work all of the time.. I'm not a millipede! Too many shoes, not enough feet..!

    I'll trust you on the loving the jeans thang. am hankering after a new grey pair. AGAIN!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad I'm not the only fantasist out here - totally know what you mean about feeling Parisian in certain clothes - speaking of which, and completely off topic, they have DVF Stevie trench online at TK Maxx for £149 - Just clicked 'buy' Whoop, whoop!! Perfect blog for me as I now 'need' new ballet flats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AHA! We can make a tribe of us! And wow that's a great deal. You definitely definitely need ballet flats to go with a trench. That almost gives you French nationality...

      Delete
  10. The Delphines? I see similar all the time and they look amazing. I try mine on and I just can't make them work... I'll try again in the Spring when it's actually warm. They seem much less substantial than the Edies... maybe that's it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ah, I'm veering towards gorgeous flats more & more these days. I spotted the Boden ones in the catalogue & loved them straight off but I do like the idea of the M&S ones with Insolia (old woman alert!!). I need some cropped skinnies too I think...... Oh, and the gorgeous red bag I spotted in Clarks the other day.......!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Know what you mean about not loving blue denim ..... I haven't worn my blue denim in nearly a year unless it's super super super dark indigo ... Much prefer black or grey or taupe! I'm also on the lookout for another grey pair

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh god I am obsessed with trying to find a pair of grey jeans that are a pale grey and a loose cut. Rocking. Horse. Poo.

      Delete
  13. I really like flats, I am rubbish at heels (unless small). I love those flat rock stud style ones... very chic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They look so amazing on other people. I adore them. Just can't get to grips with them myself. Weird!

      Delete
  14. But what do you do if you're tall with big feet? My Mum says I look like Max Wall when I wear skinnies and flats :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm I think it's something that you (or your mum..) notice more than others. The other option is to have a wide leg trouser to balance it out?

      Delete