The little things that make you feel better

So it's been mooted at a number of times - fashion blog... little bit shallow.... blah blah blah. 

I've always just shrugged it off but for the first time I'm going to stick my neck above the parapet and say actually - no I think it's more than that. 

If I think back over the three and a half years I've been writing this blog, of the countless emails and comments I have had from women, thanking me for helping them, I can sincerely say it's not nearly as shallow as one may glibly assume.  Helping them in so so many different ways I've realised.  Whether it be finding that dress/those shoes/that jacket for a wedding/ball/whatever occasion - which yes, may not seem the most vital quest on the planet, but the fact they found it quickly through my blog as opposed to having to spend a day trawling round the shops with kids/dog/hapless husband in tow - suddenly makes it seem a little bit more useful than mere frippery and fluff.

Or the more moving emails (not that I don't get moved about someone finding their perfect dress - let's not forget how shallow I am....!) from people who have not only lost their fashion mojo but felt that they had lost themselves.   And I know that sounds melodramatic but honestly, I have had so so many emails like this - especially from mums who have had small babies and have been consigned to the world of playdough, Infacol and Mike the Knight for years, living in a foggy baby bubble.  Saying that the blog has given them the inspiration, the push, the whatever it might be, to make some changes to their lives and feel normal again.  Most say they feel better than normal and feel really good about themselves. 

And for me, that's the key.  Feeling good, feeling better about yourself. 

We're encouraged to hoover down the chia seeds, the kale and the goji berries to improve ourselves from the inside out.  But I'm going to boldly say I don't think that's enough. (and Nutri bullets are REALLY expensive....)

The fact is that for most of us, if we are happy with the way we look, then we feel better.  We can feel better than better, we can feel great.  And yes, a pair of shoes, a good fitting pair of jeans, a new dress in a print and colour that we love can work miracles.  That's not shallow - that's clever.  And it works. 

Getting your wardrobe and your look right so that YOU love it and feel great about yourself every day, is a massive step to just being happier. 

I will hold my hand up and say, yes this is purely my opinion - well, mine and the hundreds (and it really is hundreds) of comments and emails that I have received who agree. 

So without further ado - today I'm looking at the little things that can make a difference.  

I may or may not have mentioned (you will be bored with me by the end of the week but it's either bore you or The Husband and none of you buy me flowers) that we are off on our hols very shortly. 

And it's always a great time to buy those little extras that make it special.  As I don't have to spend the Greek national debt on suncream since we're going to Suffolk (I do buy some, fear not), it means I have both funds and room in my suitcase to treat myself to those toiletries that make holiday that extra bit special.  They don't even have to be expensive. 

I've meant to tell you about these before but I keep forgetting even though I keep nabbing them whenever there's 20% off. (code until Sunday is JUL15EM) 

The Tuscan Escape range from M&S. This isn't luxury luxury, let's mention that first off, but for an everyday shower this for me, is the perfect pick me up.   And a new set is ideal for taking on hols.  The smell is absolutely beautiful.  A citrus, fresh tang.

I always use the shower gel but this time round I've also ordered the scrub. 

Tuscan Escape Lemon Verbena £3.50


Matching body scrub £6



They also do instore, a diffuser stick set which I love but alas, sold out online.  However, I'm going to try the new Green Fig one as I simply adore anything fig scented.  May I please point out that I do not.... I do NOT take diffuser sticks on holiday with me.  Although you know what, I might this time.  Thinking as I type - there is nothing better than the power of scent to evoke a memory so a fragrance that you can bring home with you to capture those holiday moments, isn't perhaps the worst idea I've ever had.  (whilst we're on the subject of random things to take away, I will fess up, I do take my Nespresso machine.  With Lidl capsules which are GREAT can I just say.  The Ristretto *coffee as strong as jet fuel* ones. £1.79 for 10.  You're all welcome.)

Green Fig Diffuser Sticks £15




Now this is an amazing amazing bargain with 20% off - my absolute favourite cleanser ever.  And this is simply the best deal there is out there.  150ml in total for the same price as 100ml WITH 20% extra off.  Plus they're in a smaller pot so are ideal for travelling. 

Moringa Balm £38 pre discount   These are rarely instock so snaffle them whilst you can.  I've never seen them about when they have a promotion on. 



Now has anyone tried this serum as I am in the market for a new one and love all things Emma Hardie - therefore I assume I will love this, but it's a bit expensive to experiment with... ?

Midas Touch Face Serum from Emma Hardie £59 pre discount 




One of my favourite perfumes.  Love love love this and yes, I do also buy the Nuxe body oil which is fantastic and also 20% off at M&S.  I can't get enough of either of these.  The smell also goes perfectly over the light citrus fragrance of the Tuscan Escape shower gel.  Nothing more irritating than smells that clash. (can you see why I don't do beauty often?  "Smells"?  Jeez)

Prodigieux Le Parfum 50ml by Nuxe £43.50



Another little treat pick me up can be a new bag.  Now yes, I do like a leather bag but that's not to say there isn't a time and a place for a bargain extra - especially one you can take away on hols for a week.  And I happened to spy this on the M&S site whilst I was perusing for my beauty bargains and it really stood out.

This I love.  I think this looks so much more expensive than it is.  Gorgeous bag and perfect for holiday. 

Double Zip Across Body bag in orange £29.50 pre 20% off.


Or a magenta 




Or if colour isn't your thing - then the black would be the perfect first step to a minimalist A/W wardrobe. 


Now this is a total random but I have to share as I love them so so much and am perhaps more pleased with them than I should be.  If anyone does follow on Instagram (doesmybumlook40 - if you're not on Insta yet, I honestly cannot recommend it highly enough) then they'll know that I have a black and white thing going on in my house (which we are very very slowly getting around to finishing.  Cushions, rugs, furniture, pics etc - oh my lord, it's never ending. Towels?!) and so I was giddy when I found these for the back of the bedroom doors for the children.  I'm having little gym style bags made for them for their pants and socks so they're easily accessible.  And to hang up a dressing gown or a hoodie as opposed to it languishing on the floor..... 

Alphabet M Door Hook £6.00


And whilst we're on the subject of initials, my new necklace arrived from Anna Lou of London which I am absolutely over the moon with.  I have been after one of these for ages and can't believe I waited so long to get one! 

It is the perfect pick me up and for me, the ideal outfit finisher. 


Untitled


This is the link to the one I have - the Initial Disc starting from £54 - I opted for each disc in a different shade of gold.  Mine is on the 18 inch chain.

 



So there are just a couple of my instant pick me ups that I've either used and can highly recommend or will be getting as I know they'll make that little bit of difference (I'm not going to lie - seeing stuff strewn all over bedroom floors that should be hung up can be an instant red mist descender in my book... a little hook to easily hang a hoodie or a bath robe on could make all the difference between me not losing it with a nuclear style meltdown.)

I now have to go and take the puppy for a walk before I smother myself in fake tan and decide what I'm going to wear tonight.  It's my best friend's husband's 50th Birthday.  Hawaii Five Oh theme.  And no, I didn't get the Five Oh bit (The Husband is threatening to disown me) as I'm a cretin.  I thought it was just a nod to a theme, but it seems that most people have taken the *beach wear* dress code rather literally and so I have NO idea what I'm going to wear.....  Am thinking about the coral floral & Other Stories dress but I was planning on wearing a super old All Saints rope dress which is very beachy..... but not very Hawaiian.  GAH.  (and obviously nothing like leaving it till the last minute.... like I may have mentioned, I am so over thinking about Summer outfits!) 

Quick snap of outfit today.  All very very casual.  One step off jamas.


Untitled

Black swing tee - Whistles

Boyfriend Saxby jeans - ASOS
Lace up sandals - Forever21 

It will be a late one tonight I'm thinking (even though it's an early start... 6pm!) and we've got friends from Germany over tomorrow for a bbq but fingers crossed I can sneak a post in sometime.  

Happy Saturday everyone x


Share this:

CONVERSATION

71 comentarios:

  1. Some great ideas! For me nothing says holiday like Nuxe - I have the sparkly one with me currently and even put it on my face of an evening - I love your blog, it's my treat to read and get ideas from. You have really inspired my shopping and frankly taken the leg work out of finding so many items so thanks loads xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto! I've been following your blog for almost two years now and am always pleased when I see a new post! You really make me laugh and I totally agree that you take the leg work out of looking. We moved to Switzerland from the UK a year ago now and reading your blog, plus quite a few others has helped me feel more in touch with home (and also assisted incredibly large online orders for when I come home for a holiday!). Hope you have a fabulous holiday with your new "smells" and nespresso machine ;). Jo xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much and pleased to be of service! xxx

      Delete
  3. I think your blog is fantastic. Its a treat to check it everyday,- I so look forward to it & recommend it to all my friends! You save me hours of trawling through shops. I agree that looking good on the outside is every bit as important as feeling good on the inside. Keep up the good work and hope you have a lovely holiday & well deserved break! Gill x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Obviously I shall be blogging when I'm away (it's my hr peace from the kids!! - total switch off time for me! And I can't possibly miss out on all those fabulous new season goodies that are popping into my inbox every ten minutes)

      Delete
  4. I agree with you, there is nothing more powerful than the right clothes to make a person feel good about themselves so helping someone to find those clothes is a pretty valuable skill in my opinion. I love your blog, your sense of humour probably even more than the clothes selection. I laugh every time! Keep up the good work. Lorraine x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another fab of your blog here, don't ever stop the blog pls Kat x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've commented before but your blog has really helped me to 'find' myself again following a long serious illness, during which I lost the ability to walk and do almost anything for myself or my daughters. I really lost my sense of who I was and recovery was slow and frankly quite a miserable time. I'm quite normally quite a flippant, frivolous person and your humour and approach to fashion was my daily treat amongst the raft of more serious treatments and therapies. Thankfully I'm almost back to my old self now - but a much better dressed version! Thank you Kat xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so lovely to read, thank you so so much and huge well done you on getting yourself better as it would have been done to YOU! xxxx

      Delete
  7. Re the Marks and Spencer code, is it only useable online? Would like to buy Tuscan products as they sound gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alas, I don't think it is - going to M&S now so I'll see!

      Delete
  8. I check your blog without fail every single morning, I enjoy reading it and it has DEF inspired me to buy new/different items that I wouldn't have normally considered. Just yest I wore a midi-dress to the races!! I have def been in the post-pregnant quagmire of totally losing my sense of style with 2 small people at home and I find it a real confidence boost when I am wearing something fab, it affects all aspects of my life from how I deal with a tantrum to how happily I bounce down the street on the nursery run. It's not frippery, it's proper armour!! And it's also something that's just MINE, how easy is it to totally throw yourself into your children/Husband/house/dog...and totally forget that you're a person. Jeez, sometimes it gets to midday before I realise I have looked after everyone else and haven't even yet brushed my own damn hair. If I'm wearing a fab jumper with a lobster on it that you pointed me in the right direction of people are much less likely to notice ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well thank you xxx and thank you also for all your comments - they really do make it worthwhile. Interestingly it's the same for me writing the blog - it's mine - my total escape! (OOH did you get the lobster jumper??! I LOVE it!)

      Delete
  9. For the vast majority of women feeling confident in our appearance is an important part of being happy and successful, whether as a mum or in a senior and thoroughly serious career (or both!). It affects our perception of ourselves and how others perceive us. I guess there are some women who genuinely have zero interest in their appearance and are nevertheless happy and successful, but personally I don't know any. (Incidentally on the first day of my (horribly serious) career 20 years ago, I and all other graduate recruits (both sexes) were sent to see an image consultant. So presumably my huge multinational employer didn't think that sartorial issues were 'shallow' either.) Now that I'm working less, spending most of my time looking after my family, if anything it feels harder to get right (no work 'uniform') but just as important. Anyway, thank you thank you thank you for all of your posts. I live in deepest countryside with little access to actual shops and don't dare to imagine what I'd be wearing without your advice and research! Suspect that 'fun' linings and quick-dry fleeces would have taken hold... Possibly also wellies as evening wear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Walk away from the quick dry fleece...! Thank you and yes yes yes to all the above xxx

      Delete
  10. You are my go-to fashion guru & I've gained so much from reading your blog over the last 2 years. I love that you cover EVERYTHING & I adore seeing snippets of your equally stylish home.....and Ginny, natch!!
    I absolutely agree that some things will just perk you up, no matter how trivial or shallow they seem. Sometimes, all it takes is a new nail polish to make me happy!
    Don't ever stop your blog o change your blogging style as I, along with many, many others, would be devastated! X

    ReplyDelete
  11. Each and every morning I check the news headlines then your blog. Sometimes the other way round. As so many people have said, you have a wonderfully humorous approach and you've definitely encouraged me to take a few fashion risks. There's nothing shallow about bringing people entertainment and inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Absolutely what everyone above said - and also - Carol, I love your comments, always a joy to read as well! So honest love it xx Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think your blog is fantastic and inspiring. I love your outfits and reviews of whats available in stores. Especially the in the dressing room ones. Its important to take care of ourselves and I believe that dressing oneself is taking care of our emotional and creative selfs. My best friends mom used to say "there is nothing better than a new dress at the end of your bed to boost your self esteem" and I fully agree. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There will be more dressing room ones coming along, fear not! And thank you xx

      Delete
  14. If I was only allowed one blog, it would be yours, hands down! So many blogs out there but yours feel so authentic - funny, inspiring, relatable, relevant (I could go on...) Not to mention I've discovered new brands and nabbed some great finds through your posts. Thank you so much for taking the time to blog - you brighten up mine and so many other lives through it! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for taking the time to comment - that really does make all the difference toox xx

      Delete
  15. I love reading your blog and always look forward to the next post. Your style of writing is wonderful, humorous and light hearted. I have bought many items you have featured and tried new styles that would have passed me by if I had not seen them here. What we wear has a big impact on how we feel about ourselves. So your blog is important xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so so much. Lots more to come! xxx

      Delete
  16. I agree with Edie above, your blog isn't just fashion it's your voice too and that's why I read it. Yes I checked out some of the things you've picked out and you do of course have great taste (yadda, yadda, yadda) and it's all inspiring to those of us over 40 but it is the humor and honesty that takes it beyond "shallow", though I have to say "shallow" isn't so bad either!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Kat, ditto all of the above and love all the discount codes too. You are providing a much needed service - keep it up - "MY WARDROBE NEEDS YOU" ! xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am a full time working mum of three children and am a tiny bit (well 4 yrs! older than you are). I stumbled across your blog when googling something and can honestly say I have never looked back. My style of dressing is just very similar to yours and this is what initially attracted me, but now I look forward, everyday, to your amusing posts. I have bought many of the things you feature ( in fact you have cost me a small fortune!!) but I am now shopping from places I didn't know about instead of sticking to a couple of stores I always relied on. You have also given me confidence to wear shorts in summer- I always said before I was too old. I don't read any other blog, please keep the great work and keep the inspiration coming. I always remember my mother-in-law saying 25 years ago, why keep your best clothes for best, wear what makes you feel good (as she did the cleaning a very expensive Jacques Vert suit!) and I have tried to stick to that myself.
    Hope you enjoyed your party, Kat, you always look fabulous. Look forward to your A/W inspiring posts. Xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ps your comments actually made this middle age hormonal wreck feel really emotional! Also i saw the cross body bag in m &s yesterday and it's very cute. X

      Delete
    2. oh I LOVE the wearing of a JV suit to clean in. Purely fabulous. And thank you for your lovely comments xxxx

      Delete
  19. Thanks Kate another great blog. Love your bright and cheerful style on glum days as well as the great tips. Not quite your usual but any ideas on where a 5"9 big boobed hour glass can find a dress for the races I'd really appreciate it. Thought I'd found a gorgeous one in Whistles but the high neck well let's just say er no...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you tried Coast? I know it's predictable but they do have some real gems in that it might be worth looking at They definitely construct for the shapelier figure. Otherwise, I'll have a think. (and thank you xx)

      Delete
    2. Thanks Kate predictable or not I had forgotten about Coast! And you are right they do do bits for slim hour glass - size 12. :-)

      Delete
    3. It's perfect for an hour glass figure - I have a total plank pancake boobs and ass figure and they look depressingly awful on me! Good luck xx

      Delete
  20. Kat- I agree with all of the above. I check my e mail each morning to read your next insightful and amusing post. I started my own fashion blog (divining style) in April- I hope it's not a blogging blunder to mention it here, this isn't meant to be a self serving comment, but I wanted to say what an inspiration your blog is to me. It gave me the courage to write in my own voice , as you do, as its your honesty and wit which is the biggest draw. Your personality shines through and that's your greatest asset- with your eagle fashion eye of course! I'm at a different stage in life than you ( although we do seem to spy similar things at times) and struggle with the social media technicalities. I can only aspire to such a loyal following. Anyway, hope that's not too obsequious?! Just mean to say - great job- I think what you're doing is fab and worthwhile !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh I don't mind at ALL you mentioning your blog on here - I am honoured to be any sort of inspiration. Keep up the good work. And social media takes absolutely ages to get your head around (and no sooner have you managed to, something else new and spandangly comes out you have to learn!) x

      Delete
  21. I love your blog. It has definitely helped me find my post baby mojo. I'm sitting here in a jumpsuit and I know that's down to you. I love it, don't stop!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you so much Carol and Lisa and agree - Carol I LOVE LOVE your comments xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  23. I also adore your blog. I loll forward to checking for a new post and enjoying with a cup of coffee. My escape from the kids for 10mins. Your sense of style is amazing and so is your sense of humour! Keep up the good work xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well thank you for reading and commenting as writing it is my (little bit more than 10mins) time away from everything. xxxx

      Delete
  24. What I came here for and what I think you're doing is making us feel worthy in a youth-obsessed culture that says if you're over 35 then you are no longer deserving (of attention, of sexiness, of looking and feeling good, etc) and that you should just permanently lock yourself in a nursery/nunnery (depending on your marital status) because that's all you're good for in your declining years. It's nice to have a community of women also rebelling against this stupid idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen to that. The one thing that I have learnt (well lots of things I've learnt but I would say the main thing) is that age is literally just a number. "Am I too old for this?" shouldn't be a question we should EVER ask. Yes "does it suit me? is it flattering?" those are the questions we should be asking.

      But just because you're over 40, the fact you shouldn't be allowed to wear something as it's deemed "too trendy" is, frankly barking mad and totally non sensical.

      So yes, let's continue to rebel! x

      Delete
  25. I agree with all of the above. Love your blog and your sense of humour. All the research you do is so helpful so thank you for such an entertaining read. Marie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome and I hope you continue to enjoy it xxx

      Delete
  26. I too always check your blog for your latest gems. I love it as it's helpful, honest and funny and you cover all price ranges. I like the fact you include family snippets (good, bad and hilarious) of every day life in a busy house. I took the plunge and bought the tan leather (my first) a-line mini skirt after seeing you in yours and have to say I've never felt sexier or more confident or had as many compliments, so thank you! I'm going to hold my hands up and say I've never told anyone about your blog (sorry, sorry, sorry) as it's my guilty pleasure and I don't want to share it :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh don't worry about not sharing at all and I'm so pleased you love your skirt! xx

      Delete
  27. Like the others I also enjoy your blog very much, keep up the good work. Re the Emma Hardie serum, I have tried it and it is only a tiny 15ml phial in a huge tube. It is very nice but I would say her Brilliant oil is better and only £31 before the discount. If it is a serum you are after Lancome Genifique is better value and very effective.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh my lord, 15ml - that's virtually a tester! Right, well I might try the oil then, thank you. And I'll have a look at the Lancome - I need a new mascara and always use Lancome so I'm going to see if they have a GWP anywhere (I only ever ever buy when there'a GWP about!)

      Delete
  28. I am in NZ so whilst the specific recommendations are hard for me to follow, I enjoy your style and writing very much. It is fun to see you experimenting with new looks (dungarees, boho, flares) and what works, and what does not. You have a great sense of style and of humour, thank you very much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much and thank you too for all your comments. Love them and they definitely make it all worthwhile xx

      Delete
  29. I started following your blog about 2 years ago and I absolutely love reading it. I have bought a lot of things that you recommend, but the best thing is that you are funny and a pleasure to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. And thank you for taking the time to comment - it really does make a difference xxx

      Delete
  30. You MUST read 'Hot Feminist' by Polly Vernon, it's all about how you can be into fashion and it not be a shallow thing. And it's funny. V funny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's one for holiday! Thank you. I LOVE Polly! xx

      Delete
  31. I've read your blog for about a year, and it's the first thing I look for when I switch on my pc at work. Always disappointed when there's not a new post! Your fashion round-ups are great - like having a personal shopper rather than trawling every shop. I really like your honest writing and self-effacing style (your photos I think are probably too self-effacing). Lots of OOTD blogs are very self-promoting and don't really help unless you're completely in the same zone as them for style. You've encouraged me to invest in better quality classics. Keep up the good work, please. Hope you have a really happy family holiday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well you are very kind, thank you. Thing is - not all photos are great, not everything looks great and we all can try on the odd howler - I think it's important that everyone knows that! (although I fear I will be scarred by the pic of my knees in those white jeans)

      Delete
    2. Yes, I have to say the white jeans knees were a howler! And gladly, stopped me from thinking I could sport anything similar. So thanks for a good laugh and the brilliant warning!

      Delete
  32. Fashion and clothes are absolutely not shallow! They are (without sounding too poncey, well probably very!) a form of art and culture, as well as giving us a sense of fun, purpose and confidence. We all have to put clothes on each day, we might as well put on ones that make us feel fabulous!

    Thanks so much for the blog, you do make me laugh as well as inspire. And age is definitely a number, you should definitely wear things because they suit you, not because of how old you are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well exactly. I always say it takes the same amount of time to put on a rubbish outfit as it does to put on a good one! And yes, age IS SO JUST A NUMBER!!! Thank you for all your comments always, they really do mean so much xxx

      Delete
    2. Shallow schmallow! Everyone but everyone, from politicians to rock stars care about how they look and clothes are very much part of that. You are one of those fabulous people who have an innate sense of style an, thank The Lord , you have chosen to share that with us. I'm now 50 and I've just learned to listen out for your mutton klaxon magpie alert and I constantly ask myself "is this going to work hard in my wardrobe" - I wish you had started writing 15 years ago. I would have saved myself a ton of money and many fashion faux pas. Keep up the sterling work x x x

      Delete
    3. Thank you so much - I'll try! xxxx

      Delete
  33. Well I now wear Nuxe and have a Babyliss big hair and the Next linen khaki and cream dress so I'd like to thank you for making me less of a grump mummy frump. Thanks to your blog I try harder and actually wear more clothes! Lou x

    ReplyDelete