By popular request...

... and by virtue of the fact it's something that took me years and years to find and seeing as mine is now a couple of years old AND one of my very good friends has managed to purloin herself the exact same number, may I present a blog on all things black clutch bag related. 

Phew - that was a starter for 10.  I do feel slightly, nay very shit actually, as The rather wonderful Husband last year asked which I would prefer - the black Stella McCartney Falabella clutch bag that he had chosen from Net a Porter (all by himself..) or the Whiskey Chloe Medium Marcie satchel that he had seen on my blog.  And cow bag that I am, chose the Chloe.  Although on reflection, it is only slightly shit I feel, as I have used the Chloe one so so much, I think perhaps more so than I would have used a black clutch bag. (and he did genuinely give me the choice) 

But that's not to say that I don't think a black clutch bag is one of the most useful things you can have in your wardrobe.   It takes all sorts which is handy as there are all sorts available but personally, I've never been able to master travelling light.  So for me, I can't be doing with those titchy tiny pill case size little bags, I need something more substantial. 

And in an ideal world it would have a cross body strap as well - however we all know that the chances of finding something that ticks all the boxes, aren't exactly high. 

So that's why I've done the research for you and come up with some great options that should hopefully suit everyone.  Personally, I'm going to stretch the brief slightly and see if I can find one that can also be used during the day.  For those lunches (that some of us are lucky to go on once in a blue moon) and those occasions where a smarter bag just makes an outfit (and you don't need to carry around Percy Pigs, bottles of water, packets of Match Attax or the iPad so it doesn't have to be "that" big...)

I love a foldover bag - something that isn't too "evening" but actually could easily be taken to a super dressy affair. 

A few of these to choose from. 

Top of my list would be this from DAY Birger et Mikkelsen at My Wardrobe.

DAY Blacktile leather suede clutch now £131 with the 15 % off but don't forget to use HELLO20 for another 20% off.  





Next would be the textured leather one from John Lewis.   Actually it would be a toss up between the two and going on price, this one would therefore win hands down. (although the above one would go with my Toga Pulla boots better... hmmmm)

COLLECTION by John Lewis folded leather clutch £49




Whistles Leather fold over zip clutch bag £75




However there is also the John Lewis version at a rather more palatable £49.  Now I haven't compared the two in the flesh but - well, I've leave it with you...  The Whistles one is ever so slightly larger - but by so little, I'm not sure you'd even notice.

WEEKEND by John Lewis Mistry Leather Clutch £49  




If you are looking for a smaller one then the Coast Tilly Leather Flap Bag looks great.  Slightly smaller than above and in a textured leather.

Cost Tilly Leather Flap bag £55




The foldover versions are clearly the ones to watch this year.  Another version from Dune. 


And another version at Radley. 




Now I'll be honest, there aren't as many back clutch bags around as I thought there would be.  

However Atterley Road have a great selection and there is 20%, seemingly off everything (yee ha!) with the code FACEBOOK20 until the end of October.

The Stephanie Noir Suede Clutch £35


A similar envelope shape but very different leather.  This would get my vote.  Adore this one. 

Selected Femme Lala leather clutch £80



However the bargain envelope bag of the day has to be this from New Look. 

Black Zip Envelope Clutch from New Look £12.99






For all round usage, the Hayley bag from John Lewis is an absolute winner for the money (the fact that it's remarkably like an Anya Hindmarch bag is obviously purely coincidence.....) 

COLLECTION by John Lewis Hayley bag £49




However if we're looking for a clutch bag to do the talking and one that is a little statement (not a huge one - just a little one....) in its own right, then this Mint Velvet one wins hands down. 

Black Naomi Clutch from Mint Velvet £89


Another ponyskin number at New Look.  A more structured clutch which also has a gold chain if needs be. 

Black Pony Hair Panel Structured Clutch £19.99







And just to make me weep a bit (even though I LOVE my Chloe Marcie) this is the bag that the rather clever husband was going to get me for Christmas last year.  If he's reading, there is always this year....... 

Stella McCartney Falabella Faux Suede Pouch £255 - how fab would this be with my Toga Pullas. POO!



So there we have, as if by magic, perhaps the first inkling of Christmas lists?  Fear not, it will definitely not be the last. 

Finishing though with outfit from today.  A stunning day seeing a fabulously dear friend who I've known for donkey's years.  Here I am in all the glamour of the Ikea car park.  Can I then point out that it took FIVE, yes FIVE hours to get home (usually a 30 min journey)  Hell knows what was happening with the traffic but after travelling half a mile in 90 minutes, we parked up, went to some other shops, got back in the car.  After literally not moving for 45 mins (you know you think you MUST start moving in a mo but no.....) we abandoned car again and went to dinner in Burger King with the rest of Thurrock.  M&S Outlet store (utter tripe), Nike Outlet store (snoozerama) and Smyths Toy store later (you can imagine how overjoyed I was by this point), we got back in the car and the traffic wasn't too bad.   Needless to say a glass of wine was very very welcome when I got home! 



image

Rad tee - Zoe Karssen
Black Tuxedo Blazer - Hush
Grey cargo pants - Hush
White leather tennis shoes - Zara
Black Faridah Hobo bag - Marc by Marc Jacobs 

Tomorrow kids are all over the place with football and parties, hopefully I'll get a chance to put some blogs together for the rest of the week.  How is everyone's A/W wardrobe going?  I'm not going to say I think I might be done but..... (so so obviously not....)  I have however noticed a theme in mine..... Any idea what it might be?

Share this:

CONVERSATION

25 comentarios:

  1. I'm nearly done *smug* but am still saving for the big ticket item - the winter coat. Can do el cheapo everything else but not the coat. So am ebaying fit to bust and saving every. single. penny. It's quite painful, esp with all these offer codes floating around. And am kicking myself because I bought 2 Hush dresses only days before they introduced the 25% off offer code. So annoying. You look fab in today's pic, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ooioh that's annoying (could you not order and send back with old receipt?.......)

      Delete
  2. Technically I could go on years without buying anything new, there's loads in my wardrobe, but where is the fun in that? But now I do have to admit that I' m done... I take care to not say that aloud in the presence of my husband though...
    The only thing I am looking for is a bag like your chloe satchel ( tips are very welcome) in a friendlier pricerange. From O My Bag, a Dutch brand, a got a wonderful black clutch which would fit you Bill, chech out their website!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They look so lovely - such a shame you can't see them in the UK!

      Delete
  3. And their address: www.omybag.nl Farrah Clutch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh that Stella is stunning and not too pricey. I don't need a black clutch as I found my dream one in Zara in the summer - thick distressed crackled leather with a gorgeous roll over to hold it with - I LOVE it!
    My a/w wardrobe just seems sonfarbto be replacing jumpers/jeans/sweatshirts. Don't feel like I look any different to last year. Am tempted my drop waist sweatshirt style dresses but can't find one short enough. Ooh and tried to place Mango order on Sunday and I thought it had gone through but it hadn't - fuming and refusing to pay full price now. Was going for the colour splash neoprene top and a couple of black jumpers - will wait for next code as bound to be another one soon! sorry about your horrific journey x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I remember that now! Gorgeous bag. If it's any consolation, my bloody Mango order hasn't arrived yet. TURDS

      Delete
  5. Hi Kat just wanted to say how much I love your blog. Am stuck in the house with small baby at the moment & enjoy reading your blog as a bit of escapism thinking about clothes! Any chance of future posts on a) coats (stupidly left it late to get a new one!) and b) nice black leather tote bags as am in the market for a posh new bag for return to work?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that's so lovely to read, thank you xxxx. Well I will do one on Winter coats as I've been asked a number of times, I assume you mean smarter as opposed to functional? And yes, I have spied the bag of my dreams which is ££££££ in black sOo I need to get it out of my system and accept it's never going to happen. There has to be a cheaper version..!

      Delete
  6. Oooh yes to black tote bags, love the blog as ever and the shopping tips and flashes of your life, was impressed that your husband reads your blog! Good man! Love the black bags, got a leopard clutch from Boden with a code and it has a little strap as well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm yes, re the husband reading it - me thinks it may have been someone in his office....!!!

      Delete
  7. Oh Lordy, I love the Radley & Mint Velvet ones! I must not buy anything else though seeing as I've bought 4 pairs of shoes/boots in the last month, whoops!! X

    ReplyDelete
  8. My husband asked me this week why I wanted a new coat as he keeps finding coats throughout the house!!! I had just got all my old ones from the loft! Variety is the spice of life- was the reply, and anyway they're all previous seasons!! Kat, have your m&s boots arrived yet? I've got them in blue but can't decide whether to keep or not. I'm not sure I'll stand longer than 30 mins in them on a girls day out. I also ordered some bags with the m&s discount but they keep putting the delivery date back. Have a lovely half term- your kids are gorgeous, seen your pics on Instagram. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it helps Jan, I have the navy M+S ones and have worn them a few times to work. The insolia spongeyness really helps so no pain in the balls of my feet at all!

      Delete
    2. I also have them in blue & they are actually very comfortable

      Delete
    3. I picked mine up today and YIPPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE I had bought them in a 6 as they were sold out everywhere, but I managed to spy a 6.5 as I was hoovering through the shoe dept in our tiny M&S and they had ONE pair left in black in.... a 6.5. I am definitely definitely keeping them for less than £50 they are a total bargain.

      Delete
    4. Thanks everyone, I'll be keeping them now!

      Delete
  9. To be fair, the present choice was a no-brainer. Fakey Stella pleather or spenny Chloe cowhide loveliness. It would be like turning down a Ferrari for a Fiat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know but it;s STELLA!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (I can't believe she can get away with charging that much for pleather.... I won't say i think it's a teensy tiny Emperor's New Clothes but......)

      Delete
  10. I hope you get the clutch this Christmas! Love my clutches, dropping in the essentials into one is the last stage of getting ready for a fun night out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And dropping them all over the floor of the taxi when you're plastered is normally how my nights end...!!!!

      Delete
    2. Lol, you crack me up! I know this moment of the evening all too well. xx

      Delete
  11. oh I LOVE my leopard print bag..... yes it does take a while for trends to filter down in certain parts of the country...!

    ReplyDelete