Let's start at the very beginning.

Yes, it is my life's work to try and include as many lines from Sound of Music lyrics into my blogs as I can this year. 

Alternatively it's the intro to a blog about layers.  Those necessary basics that really aren't that exciting to buy but make the world of difference to your wardrobe.  They mean that you can utilise more of what you have all year round.  Great for under shirts, sweatshirts, jumpers and teeshirts.  As useful to wear on a dress down day with joggers as to dress up for lunch with skinnies, jeans, linen tee (long or short sleeved) and blazer.  Practical and fashionable.  We really should give them more attention.  

They're also great for adding a pop of colour to a very neutral outfit and conversely a neutral under layer can really tone down and pull together a more colourful outfit.  Pick one in a colour of the season and it can bring your wardrobe right up to date, still using old faithfuls you've had for years. 

If you make these one of your three purchases a month, I promise you will get more wear out of so much of your wardrobe.  

So the low down.  I love a jersey with a good stretch to it.  The one concession are my By Malene Birger vests which are 100% cotton and therefore aren't quite as fitted as ones with stretch in and so you can actually wear them on their own.  However to be totally honest, the days when I feel comfortable sitting around in purely a vest - regardless of how warm it is, are well and truly behind me I fear... But they make great layers and if *have* to take the top layer off, at least you don't look like you've been vacuum packed into it. 

There are some great offers around in the sale which it really is worthwhile making use of, as these little gems can be expensive.  I hate to admit it but it is worth spending the extra in my experience as the quality is better, they wash better and last longer. 

Starting with ones I have from Hush, which are now in the sale.  As a warning, you are all going to be massively bored of this colour as I really fear I am having a cobalt blue addiction crisis.... (on the upside, the Hush sale has started - credit cards at the ready.....) 

Longer Length tank now only £15 from £22


It appears that pastels are going to be big this year (as if the pink coat shenanigans of last season weren't enough) and this one, for me, is the perfect nod to pastel without being putridly pale.  

If pastels aren't your thing, this is a great token colour to add in to bring your wardrobe bang up to spec.  Looks stunning with white and shades of grey.  Even throw some black in and it works. 

Longer Lenth tank in rose, again £15 

 They also have the crew neck versions of similar colours in the sale.

This marine colour actually looks gorgeous with the cobalt blue layered underneath it.  Gorgeous teamed with black, white, navy or charcoal. 

L/S Crew Tee in Marine now £20


And in the desert rose again £20 


Another go to staple of mine for basics is Baukjen.  Sitting here currently in one of their longline long sleeve tops.

I have the black and the white.  At this time of year when it's not cold cold (and it wasn't this morning - certainly very useful coming into the Spring) I love them with a jumper or sweartshirt over and a huge scarf.  No jacket required! 

Black Essential Extra Long Tee in Caviar Black - was £49 now £39 



Extra long tee in white again reduced to £39


As I mentioned with pastels earlier, pale blue is going to be everywhere so get ahead of the curve with this Dusky Blue one now reduced to £34 


A must have colour for all seasons is surely the Sage Green (to me this looks more greige - perfect with every neutral colour around)  again £34


An alternative is offered at my new favourite find, Me+Em. 

This is already ruched for you, with a v neck (I will admit I do ruche my Baukjen ones up - hides a whole multitude of sins) 

Long V neck Ruched top in natural white from Me+Em Was £68 now £40.80 



There is also a scoop neck in optic white as a proper slimline layering tee - was £35 now £21


And in a round neck in optic or natural white - was £35 now £21




If you're looking for a layering top in a pale grey, Mint Velvet has a great one on sale.  Size up though, these come up very diddy.

Silver Grey Layering Tee was £25 now £17



Moving on to different styles, the Boyfriend t in winter navy from Me+Em is also a great little number to wear dress down or under a little jacket with huge earrings and skinnies for a dressier affair.  

Boyfriend T was £28 now £21



Also in dark moss - again £21

Finally one from Baukjen which I wish I'd seen earlier in the year to be honest - is it worth buying now though thinking of all that snow we may have coming our way?  Anyone still going skiing?  Or thinking ahead to next year?  Wear under a blazer or just a sweatshirt or jumper.

Baukjen Portobello Rib Top in ice grey now £35 was £59 



So there we have a selection of some hopefully bargains that you may be able to bag.  If they're sold out, I apologise in advance.  Like I said, it's so so difficult to blog anything at the moment as, as fast as I find it, it's sold out.  I may have to venture into new Season tomorrow.....

My outfit from yesterday - the small things back at school, obligatory breakfast at my fave local restaurant The Vine with some of my closest friends.  A wonderful way to spend a morning after the shock of having to rouse everyone pre 9am!  And we managed to swerve the rain yesterday which was a rather pleasant surprise. 


Untitled

Chambray Shirt - Primark Men's
Navy sweatshirt - Zara
Tie Dye skinnies - H&M
Navy peacoat - Zara
Navy Newburys - Rag & Bone
Whiskey medium Marcie Satchel - Chloe 

Off to hoover.  Rock. And. Roll. (I am appropriately suited and booted in joggers and a sweatshirt, I would like to point out - oh and aforementioned longline Baukjen tee.  Pics on blog tomorrow) 

Share this:

CONVERSATION

3 comentarios:

  1. Happy NY to you thank you for all the great blogs looking forward to many more in 2014. I love the long line tops for layering I wear loads of them over skinny jeans as I am SAHM my wardrobe is mainly (98%) jeans with more purchased in the sales, oh dear must try harder but will probably have to wait until the summer where at least a maxi dress occasionaly makes an appearance.
    ps love the bag I have a mulberry baywater but its so heavy to carry it sits in the wardrobe most of the time :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I swear by Uniqlo Heattech tops, although for me the men's version is a better fit than the women's! Seriously - I am a size 12-14 but I have broad shoulders, and find that even an XL in the women's makes me look like a sausage. But a Small in men's has the perfect amount of cling and drape. As always, worth checking out the boys' section!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm more into your swishy pony tail than the layering tops, although Baukjen and Jigsaw are my favourites. I don't like the really long ones, OK for skinny minnies but not fatties xx

    ReplyDelete