Jeepers, creepers...


you know what's coming, don't you... Yes.  Where d'ya get those sneakers?  I honestly can't bring myself to call them trainers.  Even though there's squit all difference I believe, but to me trainers are synonymous with exercise.  Which is never high on my list of things I love to do.  I do (vaguely) have a loose gym regime that I attempt to maintain on a weekly basis - more to  try and stop my arse avalanching down the back of my thighs than because I adore it. 

So the sneakers that I've always worn have been more of a pump variety - think Converse or Superga.  I have love/hate memories of my LA Gears from the 80's and so have shied away from the hitops.  Until my ongoing Ash affair started about 3 years ago.  Trainers with wedge heels.  And my first ones had studs.  About as far away from appropriate gym gear as you could get.  I was in love. 

I then progressed to the Ash hi tops - the Virgins. 


And then the Thelmas and then the Beas.  The addiction was all consuming. 

Seemingly I wasn't the only one becoming consumed by sneakers.  However the fashionistas of this world - let's take Phoebe Philo as an example, are hardcore in their sneaker devotion.  The utilitarian sneaker is apparently the way forward 



ummmmmm.  Not sure I can.  Just yet.  I will admit (sheepishly) that I'm slightly (ever so) slightly more drawn to them than I was this time a month ago.  Back then I was, no way.  However I'm slightly less on the fence and won't swear on my life that I won't do a swift about turn on these come the end of the season.  There are a number of things that I'm positive I won't be wearing - ooh I feel a blog coming on... just so I can eat my words come September when I'm head to toe in all things I professed to loathe. 

So. Where are we therefore on the sneaker front?  Well, then I happened to come across, via convos with the wonderful Susie and Joanna, the Italian brand of gorgeousness, Golden Goose.  The clue to this brand is in the Golden bit.  One would assume from the cost of them, that they are actually fashioned from pure gold.  I wept when I saw the price (think circa £300 for a pair of daps) 

Warning - if you're not into anything sneaker related, this will make you want to retch. 

But I love these. 

Golden Goose hi tops 







However, are they really me?  Well, for once in my life I took the sensible option of waiting and see, rather than buying impulsively (which, to be fair, often does work out but a £300 impulse purchase was even something I couldn't do). 

This sudden urge for a flat sneaker, has, of course, something to do with my annual holiday with the kids in Suffolk, where last year, we had outfit disaster (me on a farm with heeled wedges and a silk blazer?  It was pure Towie - a lovely outfit but about as location inappropriate as you could get). 

So on a hi top mission I went.  I learnt a number of things.  
  • I actually like a lot of hi tops 
  • I even quite like the chunkier ones.  Quite, only quite.
  • they are mostly expensive.  Very expensive.  Have a look at Selfridges offering.
  • they are much more ubiquitous than I'd thought 
  • I can fit into Next kids shoes even with a size 6.5/7 shoe 
First port of call was clearly always going to be my beloved Ash

These from My Wardrobe are the perfect pop of colour to a Spring/Summer outfit.  I love the leather twist detailing on the side. 

Nude and lemon vanilla high top £139





Moving into slightly chunkier territory here.  Made easier to wear by their neutral colour and lack of bling in my personal opinion.  I'm edging towards liking them...

Ash Chamois Zesr Studded trainer £179




These are much more inbetween.  Very very wearable in my opinion.  But look how much?!




Which led me back to a pair of good old faithfuls which you can now get in a well worn finish.  Lazy beyond lazy but for an instant bit of vintage, what's not to love?


Converse Well worn All Star Chuck Taylor hi tops




Converse All Star well washed hi tops in Blue 






Converse grey all start well worn hi tops 



Now a fabulous lady I met during the week has educated me on the subject of Blazers.  I had no idea what a Blazer was - I only knew what a blazer was of which I already have an unhealthy addiction, thank you very much)  But I am now fully (well almost) au fait with the Blazers of the Nike variety.  Where to start?









L was actually wearing a black (they may have been navy..) pair with a leather tassel on, which to me, made all the difference.  I have looked and these are the only ones I can find in a lovely wine colour.   Again, we're moving into much sturdier territory which is a bit of a move for me, but I think I'll get there come September. 





These I saw in Kurt Geiger in House of Fraser.   Snob alert, snob alert.  (which is random as I wear so much about which I don't two hoots about the brand)  But I'm not entirely sure I want to wear Lipsy hi tops.... Even though they were quite cute. 



Continuing on the theme of random mind you, these were the find of the week.  The perfect toe in the water hi top for a mere £18.  Love the colour of these - a fabulous neutral blush with a rose gold metallic front.



So I bet you're all dying to know which ones I plumped for before I came away?   Errr none.  I just couldn't decide.  There just seemed to be more and more that I came across that I thought I loved.  Especially as whilst I was out shopping last week, I came across the following Gap sneakers in leather on sale for £12.99.  Yes, £12.99.  I spent considerably more than that on magazines to keep me occupied on my week away.  They had them in a metallic gold and a dove grey.  I honestly couldn't decide between the two and even The Husband said oh for god's sake keep both (clearly code for, do I look like I actually care and I'll give you the £13 to stop bothering me about which is best).  They aren't remotely what I was looking for but I ran out of time and these worked. 

They fit perfectly into my holiday wardrobe and I am looking far less out of place amongst the locals, seeing as it's not quite flipflop/sandal weather and flat shoes are best for the beach.  I only bought them last week, so they will be still in store if you fancy a pair.  I can not believe how comfortable they are.  I probably could have sized down into a 6 but they only had a 7 and I was going to argue the toss at that price. 




Have they curbed my desire for a pair of hi tops?  Not at all - in fact the fashionable ladies of the seaside town are wearing them in their droves - teamed with jeans (skinny and looser), blazers, loose boyfriend coats and scarves.  I fear another addiction on the cards. 

So where do you stand on the whole sneaker front?  In for a penny and in for a pound and going full on like Phoebe Philo and the proper fashionistas of this world?  Or more of a dip the toe in and see like me?  There are those out there (you know who you are Avril...) who utterly hate the idea of anything trainer related.  Spill! 

Finishing with my outfit from yesterday 




Untitled


Grey and cream striped top - Zara
White skinny jeans - Boden  (these are still my favourite easy to wear non sausage making leg looking white jeans) 
Grey jersey scarf - Cos
Print quilted biker jacket - Zara
Glasses - Dior
Cherelle grey cross body bag - Whistles 
Dove grey plimsolls - Gap

Definitely back with more holiday wardrobe anecdotes tomorrow x

Share this:

CONVERSATION

30 comentarios:

  1. Mmmm just can't decide on the high-tops - love my Supergas but feel the high ones are a bit teen-agery for me. Now loose boyfriend thigh length coats...pretty please some research and a post on these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly I felt exactly the same until a month or so ago when I re discovered my Ash Virgins that I'd always liked but never LOVED. The start of the slippery slope....

      Boyfriend coats - yes there aren't that many around at the mo - but I'm banking on them being big big news this A/W! All the stock will drop in June/July for the start of the Autumn so not long to wait.

      Delete
  2. Hi, I would so like a pair of the Golden Goose one's.....but as you say the price is very prohibitive! My sister In New Zealand first got me into them when she visited the UK, and since then I have coveted a pair! Guess for now I will just have to put them on my wish list! But your little Gap bargain looks fine as well, and it does leave you with few hundred pounds worth of change left to spend on some other items of loveliness! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes ,they're remaining on my wish list. I do think though, if you cost them out per wear and they are an all year round shoe, you'd probably get your money's worth. I'd consider buying boots that price, I just think as it's a sneaker, it just seems AGH!

      The Gap ones I'm over the moon with, primarily as they're so so bloody comfy!

      Delete
  3. Oh honey, no - they should be consigned to Mingsville where they belong.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not sure about them - but I have just purchased a fab pair of black platform plimsolls by Vagabond from good ol' Zalando, and they seem to go with everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're definitely not for everyone! It would be a dull world if we all liked the same thing!!

      Delete
  5. I used to love hi-tops - but find myself more and more drawn to low-tops (?) I prefer my Converse low - they have a perfectly flattering cut around the ankle bone...I even think I prefer the GGs low - maybe it's just that it is summer?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AHA but you get a summer! We get a smattering of warm days and I get cold ankles. Sob. HAving said that, I am loving the Gap plimmies that I got - much more than I thought I would.

      Delete
  6. I have just succumbed to a twenty odd year desire for a pair of Emma Hope trainers, I just hope that they are worth it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG they were on my lust list about 12 years ago. Gorgeous. Fab buy.

      Delete
  7. Absolutely love the Golden Goose Hi tops, would be very very tempted!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Be gone thee creature of temptation!!!!

      Delete
  8. Oh, I'm very much a 'dip my toe in the water' type. I'm still hankering after a pair of Ash Genial, so as a salve, I now have a pair of the Converse Chuck Taylor wedge hi tops. Love them and they're really comfy. Not a chance you'd get me into a completely flat pair (I'd look like a Munchkin) so am deeee-ligthed with my little wedge heel version.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I didn't even know you could get Cons in a wedge hi top. And yes, the Genials are definitely definitely worth it.

      Delete
  9. I live in my converse and I'm still lusting after the blazers and more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe I am so late to the Blazer party! I still think they're on the chunky side for me right now, but I'm sure I'll come round very soon.

      Delete
  10. My last reply disappeared somehow. I'm a massive trainer fan, love them all be it flats wedges or hi-tops, so needless to say I love all of the above. Love the GG but not £300 love, would probably stretch to £80 for them. You got a great bargain in gap, they are very superga!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent! I would definitely like to see the GGs in the flesh before I spent the cash. But at the mo, yes, my Gap ones are doing a great holiday job.

      Delete
  11. I loved today's post as I have just succumbed to a sneaker binge myself in the past week. I have a couple of pairs of Converse (low) in grey and in leopard print (my OH hates these!) but wanted a hi-top as my ankles felt too cold with the odd warm/cold weather switches we're enjoying(?) at the moment. I bought a pair of olive leather Nike Blazer Deacons which have outline stitched swooshes so don't look too gym trainer like and I don't feel obliged to 'just do it' if I don't feel like it. I liked the feel of them so much I then got a pair of cream and grey Blazers but have to wait to receive them in the week! Mum22Girls

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ooh they sound fab. Yes, there is a fine line between gym trainer and home boy trainer and cool trainer, but I definitely need to do some more research. Olive leather sounds absolutely bloody gorgeous! Where did you find them if you don't mind me asking? xx

      Delete
    2. Good ole' EBay as it happens - and for just over £40 incl. postage which made it even better! :) Mum22Girls

      Delete
  12. Love them. Love them all. Well, except the Lipsy ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly they're better in the flesh. But no, I just couldn't go there. The shame.

      Delete
  13. Hmmm I don't think I could bring myself to wear the Blazers seeing as that's what the friends of my teenage children are all wearing these days - t'would be a bit too much down wiv the kids for my liking and an instant err, no from me...however love, have always loved Cons <3

    Emma.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ah it's much easier when your kids are only 8, 6 and 4. Having said that, they do all wear Cons as do I!! But no, I totally see where you're coming from. I'm sure i'll have a different opinion when it comes to sharing styles and brands.

      Delete
  14. Dune has a tan leather pair I've been eyeing up for a while, though I don't think they're you... http://www.dune.co.uk/laidley-hitop-lace-up-trainer-0106500940002083/

    The Next ones are a lovely colour but I'd prefer them just slightly chunkier.

    Nic x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hmmm no they're not really me. But then a couple of weeks ago the whole shooting match wasn't really me - I am THAT fickle! Chances are I'll have bought them in the next month. Duh. xxxx

      Delete
  15. I'm glad I saw this because I have been drooling over hi tops and all manner of sneakers, stewing about what I "need" and what is age appropriate, and trying to tell myself I do not need a pair of non-wedge high tops when I just bought a pair of wedge sneakers and have a nice bin of superga and bensimon and converse sneakers to throw on. (But I'm wrong. Obviously. I need the Blazers.) I saw the Blazers on a German style blog, and am a little bit afraid I'd look like a European teenager running around in them (well the feet anyway..) That being said, I think with the current sneaker trends, many of these shoes (like Converse) are ageless again. The Blazers are really cute when paired with "grown up" outfits (even blazers..!) and more practical than the wedge Nike Dunks I also like. Have Blazers been huge forever now? I don't see them here, and am slow on the fashion uptake in my location.

    Superga silver stud hi tops are also super cute.. and their summer 2013 hi tops look to be outfitted with a little bit of zipper and snaps.

    I hadn't worn cute, practical sneakers in quite a few years, but then I realized there was a hole in my wardrobe that sneakers fit in nicely. I'm glad I found the sneaker love again, even if it was prompted by nothing more than the fashion trends.

    ReplyDelete