I've gone completely dotty


So here we have my first a) random (very) thread (admittedly this is for this week and not my first ever.) and b) my first eat my hat moment of the year.  I recall saying not too many months ago that I would Not be doing polka dots.  I'm a stripe girl.  Cut me open and I'm all Pacer. 

But I find myself being strangely attracted to a polka dot jean.  We're not even going to broach the subject of spitboyfriendspit jeans.  (I have a Current Elliott sneaky purchase on the way which I have high - stupidly high - hopes for.  Clearly this all going to go wrong.  And as they're from ebay... well... let's not go there.  They Will Work.)

I'm also blaming the weather.  I simply cannot contemplate the thought of buying anything summery in this freezing idiocy of a Spring.  Today it didn't get above 2 degrees and snowed on and off for most of the day.  Surprisingly sandals are not high on my list of purchasing requirements.  Ditto shorts, ditto skirts. 

I need extensive material covering my limbs.  And what better than jeans.  But I have lots of jeans.  Lots and lots and lots.  And then I saw a lady the other day wearing a black oversized knit, faded polka dot jeans, black ankle boots and she looked amazing.  

Hence my complete about turn on the subject and the research commenced.  I am now of course, in the cold (very cold) light of day thinking perhaps they're not quite me and I'm not entirely sure I'll purchase.  However at the very least I will try the Forever 21 ones on when I go shopping on Saturday (with the kids - that won't be a remotely hideous experience....) 

For me, if I were to purchase, they would come under the heading of a trend I need to wear on its own.  Keeping the rest of the outfit quite conservative.  But that's just me - the older I get, the more that muttonometer starts to bleep.

So let's start with jeans that I know look better in real life than they do on the model.  This is definitely definitely not how I'd wear them (despite having said that I saw someone originally with a black top and black shoes).  This colour way, I think with a navy blazer and a white tee and some white supergas or cons would look great.  



1969 dot always skinny skimmer jeans £44.99 Gap  Lots of people rave about the fit of Gap jeans and trousers.  They simply don't work for me - to be honest, I'm not entirely they work here at the ankle.  I really shouldn't comment on Gap jeans at all.  However, again with a white tee and sneakers and a blazer, I could wear them (maybe)




Polka Dot jeans at New Look - £10  These I believe are only left in larger sizes but for a tenner probably worth a shot if you want to try them.



Mango Polka Dot Jeans at John Lewis  These are definitely up there with one of my faves.  These are far more in the vein of the ones that first caught my attention on aforementioned lady.  Best thing about John Lewis is you can click and collect and get it with your groceries tomorrow from Waitrose.  Unwisely addictive.







Much more subtle is the laser spot print ones from ASOS.  Love the vintage feel to these.  





Lily Dot Skinny low rise jeans by Marc by Marc Jacobs £185 from Selfridges.  These I'm mortified to say I adore.  Even though I absolutely know if I tried them on they would be hilariously disastrous - I'm thinking I'd probably look like a chilly Mr Blobby - there would definitely be a whiff of children's entertainer about them on me.  However I still can't help but have a soft spot for them.  Handily the nearly £200 price tag negates any sort of impulse purchase (am tempted to try them for comedy value....) 




Custommade Polka Dot Jeans from Atterley Road  These I think are again a pretty easy option. 




House of Holland   Another option.  These aren't so much polka dots for me as spots.  Large spots.  I still think some people could rock them with a conservative rest of outfit.  White shirt and loose navy jumper over and brogues?  Not for me, I would look a muppet but someone with more edge could get away with it. 





Dotted skinny jeans - Forever 21  These would fit into the bracket of where I would personally purchase.  Great price, great colourway, would have to try the fit but definitely more along the lines of what I was thinking. 








I spied today a lady wearing star print jeans..... I think I need to get a grip..... So are polka dot jeans for you?  

A quick round up of what I've been wearing 

Untitled

White longsleeved tee - Topshop
Denim shirt - Zara
Distressed faded straight leg jeans rolled up - Zara
Vintage style tweed black blazer - Zara
Snake Orb necklace - Stella & Dot
Cheetah print ponyskin shopper - Zara
Black Thelma wedges - Ash

Untitled

Maroon and off white striped Breton top - Massimo Dutti
Khaki linen combat trousers - Topshop
Chocolate leather jacket - All Saints
Fabulous Finches scarf in own brown - Mulberry
Stone maxi zip satchel - Anya Hindmarch
Snake orb necklace - Stella & Dot
Bea suede wedge trainers - Ash

I shall be back with random obsession number 2 tomorrow. 

Share this:

CONVERSATION

19 comentarios:

  1. Oh my god, some of those polka dot jeans are actually grim! I think you are searching too much for this boyfriend jean 'thing' - to me, what you are wearing and what you call 'straight leg turn up' is what I would call a boyfriend jean .. you look amazing.

    I can JUST ABOUT handle a cropped polka dot capri pant, I cannot, I will not (watch me eat my hat in 12 months time) abide the polka dot jean!

    Fiona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aha but not to me! Those straight leg jeans are just that in my mind, straight leg jeans rolled up! Which I like, I really do - I've been wearing them like that for the past 8 years - I love the look of a straight leg rolled up . But to my mind a boyfriend jean is also much loser on the thigh. Honestly these are skin tight on the thigh on me!! Which again, I don't mind, but I definitely had in my (deluded clearly...) head, something much looser all round.

      However I FULLY take on board your polka dot opinion. Absolutely fair enough. Can I therefore assume that a dungaree pair of polka dots isn't on the cards.....

      Delete
  2. Oh dear...have you thought about vitamin D tablets?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PMSL! No I haven't and it is an excellent excellent point. It's either that or the men in white coats clearly. So long however as they take me to a caribbean island, I honestly don't care. Straight jacket and all.

      Delete
  3. Oh Kat! I shouldn't laugh ... but that comment above about Vit D tablets is classic!! Sorry, won't be following you down the dotty path. Frankly, courtesy of my skin, I have enough dots in my life. But even without psoriasis?? Nah, not a look that appeals at all. And Fiona is right .. your straight jeans rolled up look exactly like boyfriend jeans. As always, you look fab.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fabulous isn't it!

      No I fully take that on board. And I am STILL on the hunt for looser jeans. Like I said, I do love the jeans above and my Earl ones but I desperately had wanted ones that were looser in the leg. Yawn. Yawn. Yawn.

      Delete
  4. The Marc by Marc Jacobs has some serious camel toe! I am happy with my topshop polka dot ones from last summer, yeah to wearing those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh they do don't they! Excellent to hear of a supporter though. Enjoy them. xx

      Delete
  5. I like, and saw someone in them the other day and had a quick look in primark shortly after to seeing they had and cheap and cheerful ones but no joy. I think they are very hit and miss though, the small dots are the nicest I think, and can't see any reason why you wouldn't look great in them Kat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah that's interesting that they don't have them in Primark. The jury's out for me at the moment. I'm just desperate for a change from my old winter stuff!

      Delete
  6. I had some gorgeous black with white small spots jeans from, of all places, Peacocks. They were gorgeous but sadly (or not really!) now far too big. I love the Atterley Road ones above. I'm on the spotty jeans front totally. Fiona (a different geeky one)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent! The ATterly road ones are gorgeous aren't they. Definitely a grown up version I'd say xx

      Delete
  7. Your last pic reminded me, I went to Bicester Village last week and all the Anya Hindmarch 'special' leather bags were down to about £200-£250, some from a couple of thousand, all the python etc, not really my thing, but amazing deals nonetheless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Noooo. Gosh I'm so glad we didn't go last week as, as much as I'd love a new bag, I am bagged out (apart from the one in Massimo Dutti that I have my eye on...... !!)

      Delete
  8. Now then Mrs Doesmybumlook40, I remember tweeting some time ago I waa over the stripe and all about the spot and you doubted me!! Clearly I'm ahead my time!!
    Hoping the Boden ones might come back into stock in a 6 petite... anyone?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did hold my hand up and say I was completely eating humble pie and had done a huge about turn.... I still haven't bought a pair mind...!

      Delete
  9. Lots of tutorials about on how to customise a plain pair of jeans with polka dots - could be a better option if you have a spare pair that fit you rather than buying more?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I distinctly remember patterned jeans from the 80's. Some of these are a touch too close to them for comfort. Mind you, they'd need to be cropped and pleated to be truly 80s.

    I recently bought a shirt with small dots which makes me happy whenever I wear it.

    I reckon everyone needs some dots in their wardrobe.

    ReplyDelete