Is imitation the most sincere form of flattery?

One of the most controversial fashion issues, in my opinion.  Of course, the catwalks are always going to provide inspiration for the High Street.  But there always has been that difficult line in the sand which, in recent years especially, I think the High Street has been skipping over.

Surely it's when inspiration actually descends into pure plagiarism.  A nod to the original is one thing but a blatant copy?  As someone who likes to have a mix of designer & High Street  in her wardrobe, there is at times, an irrational smidge of irritation at saving to buy something only to then see a £20 version appear in New Look a matter of weeks later. 

Having said that, conversely and being the flakey cow that I am, I love the fact that whilst I really don't want to spend over £800 on a pair of Chloe Susanna boots......


......I may be tempted to spend a fraction of that on the Jeffrey Campbell version. 



And whilst I would love love love a Rick Owens leather jacket - oh be still my beating heart - at £1500 odd it's not going to happen. 



But at £140 from Warehouse, this one will do v nicely, thanking you kindly. 



Plus there is a 20% off discount code available until end of Sunday if you subscribe to VoucherCloud.  Hugely irritatingly though you only seem to be able to use it instore.  Which is about as much use a chocolate freaking teapot in the school holidays.  Taking three kids shopping for clothes on my own.  Yeah right.  I'd be more inclined to pay someone the £28 to go and buy it for me as it would sure as hell cost me more than that in bribery. Grrrrrrrr.  If anyone a) knows of another discount code or b) can work out how to use the code online, I'd be more than grateful if they'd let me know!  

I've actually tried the jacket on instore a month or so ago and it is just beautiful.  Fabulous quality for the price although size up one size.  It will be mine! (although it is a battle between this and the navy Massimo Dutti one.  Which would you go for?)

Back on topic though - I think this is a really interesting subject.  Are you on the side of the designer or should specific style be available for the masses?  I definitely think that inspiration is fine - it's good and it's how fashion evolves.  But downright copy - hmmm I struggle with (she says hypocritically lusting after the Jeffrey Campbell boots. There is a slight difference on the heel she says desperately trying to justify it)  It's a subject I aim to explore more of in the coming months.

So now what I've been up to in the past couple of days.  Well.  Sunday was a blast.  Lunch at the new Sushisamba in the city - fantastic restaurant 39 floors up!  I believe it's the second highest galleried restaurant in the world.  Not one for those with vertigo issues.   Managed to catch the 22 mile mark of the women's marathon as well which was a result.  But then off to the highlight of the day - the Athletics and the men's 100m final.  Amazing.  Truly amazing! 

Here's my horrendous photo which doesn't do the event remotely justice. 



In all the excitement, I completely forgot to take a photo but my outfit was merely a slightly rehashed version of the new Zara jacket and Zara jeans that I'd worn the day before. Set to become a staple in the coming months. 

This week, I have mostly been flying round after the children who have punished me hugely for not being around much.  A heady mix of hospital appointments, opticians (I think we've spent nearly 4 hours in the opticians in total - joy), supermarket (yippee) and finally some relaxing yesterday in the sun with swimming.  Which is to be repeated this afternoon.  

Have mostly been wearing 



Blush tee - H&M
Distressed jeans - Zara
Blush jersey scarf - Mint Velvet
Floral jersey blazer - Zara
Rose gold Gigi sandals - Sam Edelman
Gold filigree earrings - Etsy
Sunglasses - Tom Ford
Tan Shopper - Zara



Geometric silk jersey tunic - DVF
White skinny jeans - Next
Leopard print sandals - M&S
Filigree earrings - Etsy
Sunglasses - Tom Ford
Tan Shopper - Zara



White vest - Primark
Blush oversized jumper - H&M
Floral skinny jeans - Primark
Rose gold Gigi sandals - Sam Edelman
Sunglasses - Tom Ford
Coral earrings - Fenwicks of Bond Street
Vanilla Roxanne - Mulberry

And a cheeky night out with the girls - my liver is going to need a holiday after these school holidays.  Oops.



White vest - Primark
Off white cowl neck top - Zara
Khaki zip skinny trousers - By Malene Birger
Pink blazer - Zara
Cream and gold statement necklace - Anthropologie
Nude strappy sandals - Zara
Snakeskin clutch - Michael Kors



Dark Mink vest dress - Warehouse
Mink petal jacket - Warehouse
Tan wide hipster belt - Fever
Gold filigree earrings - Etsy
Dull gold hav rip offs - Primark
Sunglasses - Tom Ford
Chestnut cross body bag - Campomaggi from Plumo

Am dying with hayfever today - seriously can hardly see out of one eye, so we're having a sofa morning.  I will drag my sorry behind to the pool this afternoon for the kids.  The Husband is away on a stag do this weekend so I have all three rugrats on my own.  There might be alcohol involved on Saturday night..........

Share this:

CONVERSATION

26 comentarios:

  1. hi kat,
    love your blog, been reading for a while now but not commented! (in fact this is my first comment on anyones blog, and i read a few lol!) anyhows, just to say i have that warehouse jacket and its fab, to use the vouchercloud discount online its Vouchercloud20.
    claire x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so so much! Very much appreciated - I did in fact order the jacket but the one I got the 12 hangs happily and I think the 10 might cut off the bloody supply in my arms. Seems to be a different sizing from the one I tried on instore. Boo schmoooooooo. But thank you anyway and welcome! (and do comment -it's so lovely to read what people think - be it good or bad!!) Kat
      xxxxx

      Delete
  2. I'm fine with copies, but not straight out fakes with "labels". Quite silly really! Your Zara blazer is gorgeous x

    http://that-bird.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, fakes are really not up my street. Re copies - I think (not sure why tbh) unless I can afford the real thing, I'd prefer an inspiration.... But then there are some styles I love ie the Acne pistol where I think there are some great "tributes' around, so why would I pay all that money (that I can't afford!) for the real deal?

      Zara blazers are always a winner, it does have to be said!

      xxxx

      Delete
  3. Just saw some Pistol style boots in Primark...gutting if you've bought original!
    This blog has solved my "what to wear on a long haul flight dilemma"..... My vest style jersey dress!a complete rip off of your look and I will take my belt off as soon as I do up my safety belt, nice and cosy! Thanks.
    ClaireH

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yaay!! Glad to be of help. The belt is also very useful to hide embarrassing crease marks on a dress. Creasing is such a nightmare on long haul flights. And I am definitely going to check out the pistol boots in Primark - were they leather do you remember? (sorry to be a pain!!) Kat xxxx

      Delete
  4. Crikey - those Jeffery Madden ones are practically like for like! I have to say, I can't afford £300+ for a pair of Marant Dicker boots but I found some Office Namesake boots for £75 and I've been pleased with the inference to the Marant boots but glad they have enough subtle changes to say they are not DIckers. But it is a hard line to draw as a lot of us don't have the disposable income to afford most of the designer goodies bombarding us. I guess it depends on what you're happy getting away with. The Warehouse jacket looks lovely - I think you can get away with that being "inspired" but not the boots which look a bit too try hard (though I've not seen them in real life and they might be gorgeous but going by the Zara "copies" I've seen in the shops, the quality just wasn't there. Always worse to have a wear a bad copy than to have a good original.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All v v v true. I think with something like the WArehouse jacket -it's basically a generic leather jacket. But with the boots, they're so specific and very distinctive - you're right, a bad copy is not a great idea. Much better to find something that's a tribute to a style. The boots are off the agenda, I'm hankering after some other studded ones on my most recent post!

      Thanks for taking the time to comment - it's so so lovely to hear what people have to say. Thank you again xxxxxx

      Delete
  5. Office also do a copy of those boots called "Nighthawk" for £85 and have an identical heel to the Chloe ones... which I prefer I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There definitely are loads around at the moment it does have to be said. I think I might leave for a younger generation and focus on another trend this season! xxx

      Delete
  6. Jeffrey Campbell or Steve Madden? Jeffrey Madden is confusing me haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is what happens when you try & blog knackered and in the holidays surrounded by a gaggle of children - a terrible terrible idea. Especially as I was looking at the Jeffrey Campbell page on the Office website when posting. Ridiculous!!

      Delete
  7. Hi Kat, I think you should definitely go with the Massimo Dutti leather jacket. The Warehouse one reminds me of a white one (dear God!) that my sister had back in the 80s which she wore with pride to a Wham concert!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now you see I'm actually a big fan of the 80's and I remember wanting one of those white jackets. And she wore it to a Wham concert? I am beyond beyond jealous!!!! But actually I have sent it back as I can't justify keeping it and It's not as good a fit as it was in the shop. Duh. Am still toying with the MD one..... but I do love love love the navy. Thank you so much for the comments - love reading them! xxxx

      Delete
  8. Hey you can go off someone you know! Greek Islands, 100m finals, Italian wedding....!! I love the MD navy leather jacket - think you would get a lot of wear from it. As for copies...I think Sue (above) has summed it up very well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have been up to my ears in 24/7 child care if it makes you feel any better! And I'm taking them to Ireland on my own for 5 days at the end of Aug/beg Sep, so the Italian wedding next week is well earned!

      And yes, I completely agree with Sue - she did indeed sum it up really well xxx

      Delete
  9. I think in this instance the question is moot. Who REALLY wants to own a pretend pair of Michael Jackson boots?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PMSL!! If I were younger, I have to say I probably would! xxx

      Delete
  10. I thought of you today Kat when i saw these in Office, another dupe of the Chloe boots!
    http://www.office.co.uk/womens/office/nighthawk_stud/10/11354/30607/1?fs=11354

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks chick! There are so so so many of them around - I think they're definitely destined for those of a younger generation. I still would were I living a completely different life though! xxxx

      Delete
  11. classic example - your Primark skinny floral jeans, almost identical to designer ( I also bought the Primarni version) lol x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. Although randomly I bought those before I'd even seen the CofH version! Yes, the Primark versions were a complete steal! ditto their leopard print ones. I'm sure they'll do some snakeskin ones which I shall be snapping up as well. Don't fancy spending all that money on the Whistles ones. xxxx

      Delete
  12. I love both those Zara blazers, particularly the floral one. I am totally in love with your hair, it is exactly how I would like mine to sit! Secret please?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! As I always say, Zara blazers are honestly the best out there. My hair - the secret is a Babyliss Big Hair. Honestly try it. You won't look back I promise! The best styling tool I've ever ever used. Hope that helps - can't wait to see what you think! xxxx

      Delete
  13. Looking gorgeous as always Mrs F! Adore that H&M top you wear with your Primark skinnies...it's fab with them. Hope you're stocking up the wine/gin/chocolate supplies for the weekend...Avril xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank darling! Weekend was fabulous in the end. Thank goodness for champagne, takeaway curries and great mates!! xxxxx

    ReplyDelete